SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron (Uberti) Conversion question

portugeejn

Does anyone know if the Cimarron (Uberti) 1851 Richards-Mason conversion revolvers have the same arbor issues that the Uberti 1851 cap and ball revolvers have?  (short arbors)

Got the bug to perhaps pick one up in .38 Special. 

Thanks. 

I have a pair in .38 both needed to have the arbors lengthened, I've used the Dillon locator pin method  in 1851 Mason Richards .38's, 1872 44's and 1860 army's with good results.

Howdy portugeejn, I have had 4 of them for a long time.  I shot them with no problems for a lot of years, although the wedges were starting to get a little loose.  I used Coffinmaker's "quick-fix" suggestion instead of lengthening the arbors.  That was to drop a #10 stainless split washer down the arbor hole in the barrel to take up the space.  Works fine, although you have to remember they are there when you take it apart.   And some had more room in there than others.  On one I had to use just the thinnest flat washer I could fine.  Now fast forward to a couple years ago, I got another one (a type II in .38, but it is the same frame as the '51. ) That one did not need any spacer, the Arbor is long enough.  A few others with recent purchases have made the same observation, but others have found recent guns to still need the spacer.  So maybe they are making a change, or maybe just manufacturing variances.  But pretty easy to deal with.  Good luck.

The short answer is YES.  Same short Arbor problem as ALL other Uberti Open Top guns.  I will also refer you to Larsen E. Pettifogger's articles on tuning Uberti Open Top Revolvers.

Archived