SASS Wire Forum

Well Done, Marine!

Subdeacon Joe

1st Marine Division Hero Robert Grove on Cape Gloucester.

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Robert Woodrow Grove (306455), Corporal, U.S. Marine Corps (Reserve), for extraordinary heroism and conspicuous devotion to duty while serving as a Machine Gunner in Company I, Second Battalion, Seventh Marines, FIRST Marine Division in action against enemy Japanese forces at Cape Gloucester, New Britain, on 27 December 1943. When a numerically superior enemy force attacked the positions of his company and succeeded in penetrating the lines, Corporal Grove courageously led a squad of men to the point of the break-through and, armed with his own sub-machine gun and that of one of his casualties, fearlessly charged a light and heavy Japanese machine gun, destroying or wounding the crews of both and capturing the valuable weapons. Corporal Grove’s valiant conduct and inspiring leadership contributed materially to the success of our forces in repulsing the hostile attack and re-establishing the lines and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.  

Also served during the Korean and Vietnam Wars. He died on 18 February 1965 from wounds sustained while advising the South Vietnamese Rangers in Tu Thuan province and posthumously honored with the Silver Star. Served 20 years and reached the rank of gunnery sergeant.

#ww2uncovered #WWIIHeroes #WWIIHero
#ww2vet #WWII #ww2history #WW2 
#usmc #SemperFi #navycross #heroes  #HeroesInUniform #remember #Hero 
#ww2history #ww2  #worldwar2  #WWII #WorldWarII #wwiihistory #ww2history #worldwartwo  #greatestgeneration 

Original description and photo sourced by:
worldwarphotos and victoryinstitute

FB_IMG_1608353202647.jpg

What can anyone say about men like this?

I offer you respect and remembrance sir.

Well Done.

Sleep Well.

I hoist Bravo Zulu in his honor. Semper Fidelis, Buddy.

Archived