SASS Wire Forum

Low ball offers will be refused...

I think the primers are the same but the holes are different. I read an article decades ago (1980s) on how to use hydralics to push out the primer in Berdan-type pockets and then they could be reprimed and reloaded normally. It seemed a total waste of time as finding cases wasn't an issue. But, they may have also been doing it to reload hard-to-find ammo.

1 minute ago, Cholla said:

I think the primers are the same but the holes are different. I read an article decades ago (1980s) on how to use hydralics to push out the primer in Berdan-type pockets and then they could be reprimed and reloaded normally. It seemed a total waste of time as finding cases wasn't an issue. But, they may have also been doing it to reload hard-to-find ammo.

.... that would appear to require some permanent modification to the cases between de-priming and re-priming .......

30 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... that would appear to require some permanent modification to the cases between de-priming and re-priming .......

Maybe. They might have swaged the primer pockets as well. It seems like a lot of the European ammo have staked primers. I have some Herters .45 Colt brass that I have swaged once but they still won't accept a primer. I will need to do it again with a little more elbow grease.

Saw a youtube video which stated 97% of the U.S. primer production is sold to the major ammunition manufacturing companies and the leftover then filters out for those of us doing reloading. That number would make sense when viewed with respect to the empty ammuntion shelves in the stores...if those are continually selling out and the manufacturing companies are increasing their orders...less for us. Additionally, I suspect the instinct to buy two boxes rather than one after not being able to find something for a month or more kicks in and that contributes to additional lack of supply on the shelves. I've generally not worried about primers since the early Obama years and have had enough on hand to meet the calibers I reload...but after stepping into this CAS stuff a couple months ago, it has been a bit challenging to outfit for the new calibers!

Years ago, I read an interesting post from a gentleman in England who reloaded .22LR, as it was expensive and hard to find over there. He adapted some tools to clear out the primer rim on the case, mixed up some sort of paste for the primer rim (I have no idea what it was...long time ago) and used a shaved down pencil eraser setup to pack that paste into the rim... 

17 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

I disagree.

Reports form California and the few other "expected" states is that the new buyers were shocked the restrictions applied to them. They were just supposed to apply to criminals and, well, not them.

Well, I just hope you're right. The way things are going in this country we need all the new friends we can get.

12 hours ago, Amigo said:

Saw a youtube video which stated 97% of the U.S. primer production is sold to the major ammunition manufacturing companies and the leftover then filters out for those of us doing reloading.

If true, then just a 3% increase in ammo demand will pinch off the market for hobbyist reloader.

I have no reason to dispute the number, but the market impact must then have been much greater than 3%; Federal stopped all shipments to all ammo manufacturers and re-manufacturers reserving all primer production for use in-house (several months ago).

Since Federal would not have been able to quickly buy, install, and staff any big increase in ammunition production equipment, Federal primer production must have been seriously impacted to stop shipping them to anyone else.

This means ammunition production must still be vary low compared to this time last year; none of the other ammo makers are getting Federal primers either.

Ammunition output has indeed been reduced due to workplace restrictions (thanks to COVID) as well as increased cost and difficulty in sourcing the raw materials. The toilet paper debacle showed everyone just how fragile our system of supply and demand really is, and that all it takes is a small upset to throw the entire thing off-kilter. This year has been more than just a small upset.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:23 AM, sassnetguy50 said:

"Our Low Price"

These clowns were a player in the last shortage circle. 

2 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

"Our Low Price"

These clowns were a player in the last shortage circle. 

They make money on the shipping. Well, they usually make money on the product too, but they always make money on the shipping. Abandoned the cart any times when the total was much larger than the product(s) were worth. I think I have actually bought from them twice.

Archived