SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shane Not Sean

Need Red Dot recipe for .357

For the New Vaqueros and Uberti 1873.  I want to use Red Dot for my shot shell and metallic hand loading, and I've about got my shot shell dialed in.  Now I need to work up my .357.  Does anybody have a good .357 Red Dot recipe with 125gr bullets?  Not looking for a .38 recipe.  Thank you.

My Laser-Cast Reloading Manual quotes 4.1 grains of Red Dot gives 961-fps out of a 6-inch revolver barrel.  That gives you an upper bound on an acceptable load.

I use 3.5 grains of Red Dot in .357. A little recoil but pretty mild. A buddy liked 4.0 in his.

Posted (edited)

I use 4.0 gr. of Promo which is Red Dot without the dots.  Works fine in my 357.

Edited by Nickel City Dude

I know, you said ,357, not ,38special. More shoot .38sp. Not all your brass will be returned to you. With.38, I don't care if It's my brass, or not. If I get a .357 in the batch when I'm reloading, it goes in the recycle pail.

Posted (edited)

3.3. to 3.4 grains of Red Dot or Promo with an 125 grain TCFP bullet crimped in the groove.  Red Dot and Promo are interchangeable.  Federal Small Pistol or Small Pistol Magnum.  I get about 850 FPS out of my rifle.

Edited by Null N. Void

1 hour ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

I know, you said ,357, not ,38special. More shoot .38sp. Not all your brass will be returned to you. With.38, I don't care if It's my brass, or not. If I get a .357 in the batch when I'm reloading, it goes in the recycle pail.

I get a little ..357 brass also but I put in in my gun cart and take it back to the match.  I know it is not much but the .357 shooters seem to appreciate getting a few back.

Blackfoot

• Like 1