SASS Wire Forum

deflected pass question

Trigger Mike

10 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

the charger quarterback throws the ball and it hits someone's helmet and comes back to him and he hit it so it fell to the ground and the announcer said "he smartly drove it to the ground"  why ?  could he not try to throw it again?

No, only one forward pass per play and before he could get it off he’d have been sacked for a loss.

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

the charger quarterback throws the ball and it hits someone's helmet and comes back to him and he hit it so it fell to the ground and the announcer said "he smartly drove it to the ground"  why ?  could he not try to throw it again?

Like Mo said, there can be only 1 forward pass per play. 

A forward pass is either completed and the progress- or lack thereof- results in the line of scrimmage for the next down, or it's incomplete and the play results in just the loss of down, with the ball being placed at the same location as the previous play.  Had he caught it, he would have lost yardage.  By just batting it down, the play ends and there's no loss of yardage. 

It was a smart play because, sometimes, it's just better to cut your losses.

4 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

True but it was my wife who kept deflecting my passes from age 6 to 17 before I finally got her interested and scored into the end zone of marriage 

I considered marriage a two point conversion!

Archived