Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graywolf Tate

How to get more noise from my 10 gauge BP loads

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Some folks have to wear hearing aids during shoots. They are programmed to compress sound effectively killing high db sound.

 

But fact is that the typical hearing protection worn by the average CAS at matches are not going to be that effective against a 10ga pushed to some bizarre db level in an enclosed or covered stage.

 

You are 100% correct regarding the lack of a rule and that we should be wearing hearing protection. But as someone previously said, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

 

I also find it fascinating that so many folks just seem to poo-poo the issue of someone going out of their way to have as loud of a SG as possible. Kinda funny when consider the desire for many folks to have the HPA passed.

 

Phantom

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the  HPA? 

 

(I assume not the Harry Potter Alliance or Hot Piece of......:o )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the  HPA? 

 

(I assume not the Harry Potter Alliance or Hot Piece of......:o )

 

HPA = Hearing Protection Act.  A continuously proposed piece of legislation to get silencers/supressors removed from the NFA.  Basically, silencers would be available for purchase without all the federal taxes.  Our current congress will NOT take this up so it's deader in the water than the Lusitania.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

 

HPA = Hearing Protection Act.  A continuously proposed piece of legislation to get silencers/supressors removed from the NFA.  Basically, silencers would be available for purchase without all the federal taxes.  Our current congress will NOT take this up so it's deader in the water than the Lusitania.

I gotcha.  I was not thinking silencers/suppressors as hard to imagine them at a CAS match! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hoss said:

I gotcha.  I was not thinking silencers/suppressors as hard to imagine them at a CAS match! 

The point being that folks do understand that suppressing sound is important to the health of shooters. We should do what we can to minimize the potential damage.

 

I'll stand by my position that we should not be actively looking to make our guns louder for the sake of making them louder. I personally consider this act to be irresponsible. 

 

Phantom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

The point being that folks do understand that suppressing sound is important to the health of shooters. We should do what we can to minimize the potential damage.

 

I'll stand by my position that we should not be actively looking to make our guns louder for the sake of making them louder. I personally consider this act to be irresponsible. 

 

Phantom

I have a 10G and enjoy shooting it every one in a while.  I shoot fairly mild BP loads. The long barrels generally have the sound way out from under the rood of a covered stage.  While I dont want to make it louder, I also dont think we will ever see suppressed or silenced CAS guns. At least I hope not! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I have a 10G and enjoy shooting it every one in a while.  I shoot fairly mild BP loads. The long barrels generally have the sound way out from under the rood of a covered stage.  While I dont want to make it louder, I also dont think we will ever see suppressed or silenced CAS guns. At least I hope not! 

I've observed shooters whose loads were so light they might as well have been suppressed.  When you can watch the bullet fly to the target it's a pretty light load!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I've observed shooters whose loads were so light they might as well have been suppressed.  When you can watch the bullet fly to the target it's a pretty light load!

light loads can be a hazard as well.  one foggy morning I saw a bullet leave the gun, hit the target,bounce off target, hit the ground, bounce off the ground and come directly back at the shooter/TO. barely missed them.  load was not sufficient to deform or fragment the bullet at all.  I suspect if I had looked for the bullet I could have used it again! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

light loads can be a hazard as well.  one foggy morning I saw a bullet leave the gun, hit the target,bounce off target, hit the ground, bounce off the ground and come directly back at the shooter/TO. barely missed them.  load was not sufficient to deform or fragment the bullet at all.  I suspect if I had looked for the bullet I could have used it again! 

Yep, I've seen them come out of the barrel and fall to the ground between the firing line and the target.  Had a shooter argue once that his bullet bounced off the ground and hit the target.  He lost that argument. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I am on the indoor shooting range I always wear muffs and ear plugs because of other people shooting all kind of guns with power loads, but then I feel numb like a fish underwater. I really enjoy just wearing light, almost invisible (electronic) in-ear protection for CAS, feels definitely more cowboish :D Would be really annoying to have to wear muffs under my hat because of someone who's goal is just loudness!

 

I hope that shooters using exaggerated loud loads at least warn the attendant pards before they begin!

 

I also like to add that imho every new rule has its origin in people either beeing "very creative" or ignorant....

 

Equanimous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

When I am on the indoor shooting range I always wear muffs and ear plugs because of other people shooting all kind of guns with power loads, but then I feel numb like a fish underwater. I really enjoy just wearing light, almost invisible (electronic) in-ear protection for CAS, feels definitely more cowboish :D Would be really annoying to have to wear muffs under my hat because of someone who's goal is just loudness!

 

I hope that shooters using exaggerated loud loads at least warn the attendant pards before they begin!

 

I also like to add that imho every new rule has its origin in people either beeing "very creative" or ignorant....

 

Equanimous

When I occasionally shoot the 300 Win Mag I let any shooters around me know that they need to be well prepared.  Pushing a 180 grain bullet at 3000 fps + it's not quiet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all who have responded, both for and against. I never thought this level of discussion/arguments would be generated. Perhaps this is a better way to state my intent. How do I achieve more smoke and flame out the end of my barrel using ONLY (no additives) real black powder and organic wads in brass shells ? Size of the powder grains, internal compression pressure of the completed shell, amount of powder, type of wad (paper in my case), amount of shot, barrel length and other variables all make a difference. I bought my 10 gauges in response to such match categories as "King of Ka-Boom" and "Sultan of Smoke" etc... 

 

This is a shooting sport and black powder was and is a part of it. The boom and smoke and fire, that's part of it too. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shift with a guy once, he said he was doing some “experimenting” with his BP ammo. Added a little motor oil to get more smoke. Not sure if he was kidding or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Graywolf Tate said:

How do I achieve more smoke and flame out the end of my barrel using ONLY (no additives) real black powder and organic wads in brass shells ?

 

If this is your only objective, shoot blanks where the majority of the powder burns outside the barrel. This is my original .52 cal Civil War percussion Sharps loaded with 50 gr of only 2f for a 4th of July demo. Light to moderate boom since there's no bullet to create pressure.

 

If your objective is to increase smoke and flame and still hit a target, you're wasting your time. Again, you'll need excess powder that burns outside the barrel which is terribly inefficient as well as destroying any semblance of a pattern.

 

FWIW, my feelings regarding extra noise "echoes" those who are opposed. 

 

FUhcnWe.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shot my 10 gauge for two matches in Florida recently SE Teritorial BP Championship and the International BP Championship, using 123 grains of 1F. It is load but fun. I was also TO and had another shooter using 10 gauge it was loader than mine. We had no complaints that i know of. Maybe due to it was BP matches. I was shooting in the King of Kaboom category and wanter a Kaboom. 

IMG_4137.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.