SASS Wire Forum

Need input on a F250 with 6.2 gas engine

After spending 5 weeks dealing with my 2010 Chevy in the shop, I'm a little gunshy about it.  I've been wanting to upgrade from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton for a while, as the camper I have is at the top of what the 1/2 ton comfortably pulls.  

I've found a local, one owner trade in 2016 Ford F250 Superduty.  It's a 4x4, base model (rubber floormats, vinyl seats).  It has the 6.2 gas engine, and a perfect car fax indicating regular service at the dealership where it was purchased in 2016.  Odometer is at 72,000 miles.  This is a crew cab truck with the long bed.

I haven't had a Ford pickup in a while.  So I'm needing input on that 6.2 engine, and the general overall reliability of that engine/drive train.  I already know I can expect between 11 and 16 mpg, but the Chevy I have now don't do much better.  

I have a 2011 Super Duty with the 6.2. Mileage is between 12 and 14 empty and 8-10 with my 9000 pound 5th wheel.

With the 10 ply tires at full pressure it does ride like a truck, but on highways did bad, I've had it for 2 years and am very pleased with it. 

2016 is the last year with a steel body Ford changed to aluminum for 2017 model year.  My 2017 F250 4x4 has the diesel 6.7 . 

The ride is much better with a lower tire pressure and / or different tread pattern.

Take along test drive ,a very long test drive as the difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks is considerable. Turning diameter is bigger and parking is like a school bus . If parking in a garage will the truck fit? Drive it home and try it .  I can't use a parking garage.

4x4 ,20 inch wheels and a bed cap these are all things to think about before you purchase a truck.

Good luck . CATLOW 

Neither my current truck, nor this anticipated one will fit in my car port.  This one would be about 2 feet longer than my Chevy.  

Thanks for the reminders about the wheels and the parking.  I had forgotten about those.

I've got a 2017 F350 with the 6.2.  I'm satisfied with it so far.  I've pulled my 25 ft flatbed gooseneck hauling corn and bean seed approx 6 to 8 tons and hauled a 4430 John Deere from here to Scottsbluff NE.  Also hauls my sons restored classic tractors to various events.  Most of our hauling is on flat ground no mountains.  We don't pull trailers all the time so I didn't see the need to spend the extra on the diesel.  Also pulls our 24 ft bumper pull camping trailer easily.  I'm not sorry I bought it.

Archived