SASS Wire Forum

Zastava M75 shotgun?

Silver Rings SASS # 27466

So I don't need another shotgun, but I was in the local Cabela's and they have 4 Zastava M75 sxs shotguns. They are used and a bit beat up but the 2 I handled locked up tight and the bores looked good and the price seems good.  They have double triggers and are fairly heavy.

So what do you know about them?  Maybe you can keep me out of trouble.:P

Silver Rings

Don't know how much help this will be, but they were imported by KBI, Inc  .Before that Advanced Weapons Technologies==T. D. Arms== Brno USA and finally Nationwide Sports Distributors . Unfortunately  believe all have passed but there is some information available.  They were made in Yugoslavia     Good hunting   GW

If you can get an early one, (I don't know the serial number ranges), the early ones made from 1959 to 1975 were called the Model 59 and were made by FN in Belgium for Zastava, Excellent guns, light triggers, and can easily become a nice CAS gun.  The later ones, fairly identical, but made in Yugoslavia starting in 1975, is called the Model 75.  Made of cheaper and lighter materials, and has been know to have several failures.  It's hard to tell them apart, as the markings are similar, and now, they all get sold under the umbrella term of "Model 75".  I believe the serial numbers continued through the changeover, so you'd be looking for low serial numbers.  Maybe someone else on here has access to the serial number ranges and see if you can get a pre-1975 model.

Must have found a bunch. Local Cabela's had 4 but these were beat. Stocks looked like been used for used for clubs, rusty and 2 the barrels were loose.   If you needed one and could find a decent one I think I might try one. Not many sxs for $300 anymore.    GW

Stopped at Cabela's yesterday to look at the m75 shotguns again and they got a bunch more in. The new one's are priced at  $349 instead of  $299. I asked why and the fellow had no idea. The new one's are just like the first batch and they have a bunch more in the back. I wonder where they got what must be more than a hundred of these. 

In my talk with the fellow, it came out that they can NOT removethe trigger lock until you have bought the gun.  No trying out the gun with snap caps, no touching the trigger until its yours and you can NOT return it if it doesn't work. That put me off buying one, at least for now. Buying a pig in a poke is hard to justify. 

Silver Rings 

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought a Zastava sxs 16gauge from my local Cabelas for $299. It’s a ton of fun to shoot, I have put at least 50 slugs through it already and love it. If your still thinking of buying one I would highly recommend them, they’re a blast... LITERALLY hahah 

I did buy one, a 12 ga. When I took it out to try it, it fired fine but would not open unless I used my knee to break it open.  I have had to adjust the timing to fix it. It is a sturdy gun and hopefully will hold up good.

Silver Rings

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Chancy Shot, SASS #67163 said:

+1

I am not even sure what you mean by "adjusting the timing".  A little help, please.

Chancy

These shotguns don't have auto retracting firing pins, as the pins are part of the hammers. So timing in this case has to do with how soon the hammers/firing pins start to be cocked/withdrawn when you break the barrels open. My shotgun, the firing pins remained stuck in the primers when I started to break the barrels open making it hard to open the action. These shotguns use levers that the forend press on when you break the barrels open to cock the hammers. I had to have the levers welded to add metal on the levers so they start to cock the hammers sooner so the firing pins are pulled from the fired primers sooner so the action will open.  Part of the problem is if the hammers are cocked too soon then the barrels will not stay open far enough so you can insert shells.  Timing is working out the balance so the gun works good for it's use.

Hope this helps.

Silver Rings

Archived