SASS Wire Forum

Seven years in prison...

13 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

And don't even talk about what is available at those....

Gun shows!:o

My observation has it there's lots of jerky... T-shirts... miscellaneous junk... 

The most interesting thing I've seen for a long while - and this was about ten years ago - was a trapdoor Springfield that literally had a hole drilled in the barrel just for'd of the frame, and an electric cord shoved into it to power the lamp fixture at the muzzle - all mounted on a vertical stand.  Yup... someone had literally "run a cord up the barrel and turned it into a floor lamp!"  :mellow:

Certainly not like the gun shows of 30+ years ago.  -_-

On 10/18/2018 at 6:55 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

(and he had 37 years to realize his error in judgment and fix it).

Just so I know, how do you fix that error in judgement?  Throwing it away is the only thing I can think of, but there's got to be a better way. 

My first thought was that maybe this guy would be a good test case for a 2nd amendment challenge.  Then I saw the filed off SN, and the drugs. 

BTW, why do crooks file off the SN?  I don't see how it does any good.  It just makes it more noticeable that something aint right about the gun. 

6 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

My observation has it there's lots of jerky... T-shirts... miscellaneous junk... 

I'll tell ya what aint at a gun show anywhere.  Stripper clips for an MLE.  Even when you have 2 dealers who say they have some at home and will bring them next month. 

At least, that's been my observation. 

23 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

BTW, why do crooks file off the SN?  I don't see how it does any good.  It just makes it more noticeable that something aint right about the gun. 

If you're going to commit a felony with it anyway, why not? Makes it harder to trace it back to where you found it. Of course in the old days it also made it a lot harder to tie it to multiple shootings, but ballistic forensics took care of that.

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Just so I know, how do you fix that error in judgement?  Throwing it away is the only thing I can think of, but there's got to be a better way. 

My first thought was that maybe this guy would be a good test case for a 2nd amendment challenge.  Then I saw the filed off SN, and the drugs. 

Lets say the gun was stolen in a home invasion that resulted in 3 homicides. You probably don’t want that tied to you. Remove the serial number, put a new barrel in it.

28 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Lets say the gun was stolen in a home invasion that resulted in 3 homicides. You probably don’t want that tied to you. Remove the serial number, put a new barrel in it.

Might want a new firing pin, ejector and extractor and to take a file or a wire brush to the breechface, too.  Spent casings can be matched is some cases as well.

Either that or make sure to police your brass.

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Might want a new firing pin, ejector and extractor and to take a file or a wire brush to the breechface, too.  Spent casings can be matched is some cases as well.

Either that or make sure to police your brass.

Matching that stuff up isn’t as easy as it is on tv. ;)

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

was a trapdoor Springfield that literally had a hole drilled in the barrel just for'd of the frame, and an electric cord shoved into it to power the lamp fixture at the muzzle -

I believe they also made good fence posts.

But then, cannon barrels made good bollards.

Related image

13 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yeah, but if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. 

Mine would be the ONE case where it would be just as easy as it is on TV.

15 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Maryland finally scrapped its "ballistic fingerprint" program as useless.  UC Davis studies have shown that microstamping is useless, but even so, they say it is "feasible but variable" and the CA microstamping law went into effect.

https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/corrected-study-microstamping-guns/

To test the effects of repeated firing, Beddow fitted engraved firing pins into six Smith and Wesson .40-caliber handguns that were issued to California Highway Patrol cadets for use in weapons training. After firing about 2,500 rounds, the letter/number codes on the face of the firing pins were still legible with some signs of wear. But the bar codes and dot codes around the edge of the pins were badly worn.

"They were hammered flat," Beddow said.

https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/firearms-microstamping-feasible-variable-study-finds/

Tests on other guns, including .22-, .380- and .40-caliber handguns, two semi-automatic rifles and a pump-action shotgun, showed a wide range of results depending on the weapon, the ammunition used and the type of code examined, Beddow found. Generally, the letter/number codes on the face of the firing pin and the gear codes transferred well to cartridge cases, but the bar codes on the sides of the firing pin performed more poorly. Microstamping worked particularly poorly for the one rimfire handgun tested.

The researchers did not have access to patented information allowing them to read the bar- or gear-codes, and so could not determine if these remained legible enough to be useful.

Codes engraved on the face of the firing pin could easily be removed with household tools, Beddow found.

The researchers estimated that setting up a facility to engrave alphanumeric codes on firing pins would cost about $7 to $8 per firing pin in the first year, assuming that such marks would be required on all handguns sold in California, and based on the efficiencies associated with high-volume production costs, Tulleners said.

Tulleners said that a larger test of about 3,000 firing pins, from a wider range of guns, would allow for a more "real-world" test of the technology, as called for by the National Research Council report. About 2,000 makes and models of handguns are sold in California, compared with the nine tested, Beddow estimated in the study. A larger study would also help show how useful this technology might be in detecting and preventing crime.

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/article2592124.html

A new California law is preventing consumers from being able to buy the best, ever more reliable models of pistols available, unless the manufacturer microstamps the make, model and serial number in two locations on the gun. In theory, the information would be imprinted on a cartridge casing when the gun is fired. New and improved models not equipped to microstamp are now considered “unsafe” under California law.

But, as several independent, peer-reviewed studies have shown, this nascent technology is flawed. It is incapable of reliably, consistently and legibly imprinting the required identifying information in two locations on an expended cartridge casing. Even the patent holder in a 2012 study he co-authored acknowledged the problems with this technology and called for further study rather than mandating its use. A National Academy of Science review, forensic firearms examiners and a UC Davis study reached similar conclusions. Because of the technology’s inherent limitations, no manufacturer can comply with this new law.

What the Legislature actually did was ban the innovation and stop the continuous improvement of today’s manufacturing processes that would otherwise enhance firearms safety and other functionality.

Archived