SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 27S .32-20 Rifle

I have come across an interesting Marlin rifle that I am considering purchasing. 

It is a model 27S pump action with an exposed hammer, octagon barrel in .32-20.  (Which is why I am potentially interested.  I know very little about Marlin's in general, and I had no idea they ever made a pump gun in this caliber.

Has anyone here any experience with them?   How do they compare to the Lighting?

I am curios about the gun.   Asking price is 800 and change.   Assuming shootable condition is that reasonable?   Very ignorant here.

A friend of mine has one. It is a very  fine rifle. Too bad it came out after 1900. Nice rifle but not SASS legal.

I have a hard time with that. Henry cane come out with a rifle that didn't exist in the 1800 . But they are legal for SASS.

Not SASS legal?    I wonder why.   I just checked the handbook, and this is what I found...

Rifles or carbines used in the main and team matches must be original or replicas of lever or
slide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899,
incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer.

Okay, the rifle has the tubular magazine and an exposed hammer, and is a slide action rifle, so it fits the generic criteria.   You say it came out after 1900, okay, so that's where the trouble would be, I guess.   Any idea when it came out?   I wonder if the "approximately" could somehow make this gun okay.

Here's why...

Similar statements are made for revolver and shotguns.

The Henry Big Boy, Winchester 1901 and the Ruger are all post 1900 designs, and they are all okay.   So for that matter are some of the make/model SxS and single barrel shotguns used in our game.  (Meaning that the specific model was introduced after 1900)  I assume that they are all okay because while they came out after 1900, they are of a "design type" that was common before then.   By that logic, and precedent, it would seem reasonable for this gun to be allowable.

I do not own this rifle, and if I can't use it here I probably won't get it, but I am, I guess intrigued is the right word, about possibilities.  :)

Maybe Palewolf can offer a definitive interpretation.

H K you offer up a good argument. Maybe by rule book definition it wouldn't be legal for a SASS sanctioned event because of the before 1900 clause, but I doubt there would be any issues at the local club level. I know there wouldn't be at the clubs I shoot at. I'm a 32-20 collector and shooter. I know I'd buy it!

OK, I don't keep up with the rules changes as I should, but I thought the Marlin 27 had an exception for its date of production and could be used. I'm willing to stipulate up front that I could have this remembered all wrong. In any case "SASS utility" isn't the only reason to buy a good gun you think is cool. That would just be a bonus.

I had one a few years ago.  It was a really nice rifle, much more reliable than Lightnings.  Mine and all of the others I’ve seen have a limited magazine capacity.  If you can find parts to put an extended magazine on it to be able to hold 10 rounds, it would be a fun gun for local matches.  SASS might even approve it in light of other guns it has approved.  I know I regret selling mine.

There is no loading gate on the receiver, does it load through the magazine like a Henry 1860?

As I recall, it has an inner magazine tube that you pull out part of the way, compressing a spring and exposing a loading port.  Sort of, but not exactly, like a tube fed .22.

25 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

As I recall, it has an inner magazine tube that you pull out part of the way, compressing a spring and exposing a loading port.  Sort of, but not exactly, like a tube fed .22.

Thanks. Interesting rifle, for sure.

I have one in 25-20 and love it. Only holds 7 in the magazine. It is accurate having taken many turkey and a javelin and many squirrels and rabbits. I have not been able to understand why it wouldn't be SASS legal except for that 1900 rule but with all the mods allowed for the other rifles it seems petty. It loads through the magazine slot when extended.

Archived