SASS Wire Forum

Tank Analysis

I spent 20 years on American tanks ending my career teaching the Saudis on the M1A2.  Spent my time in Graf. I can most certainly tell you that the difference in capability right now is more with our soldiers than our equipment. The Abrams is king.

A well trained crew in an obsolete tank will beat a poorly trained crew in a new tank every time (unless bad luck takes a hand).

This shouldn't be news to anybody.

Duffield

As Willy said to Joe when a friendly tank rolls by (Up Front With Bill Mauldin), "I'd rather dig. A movin' foxhole attracts the eye!"  OTOH, I think one of the best tanks has a crew of one, a pair of jet engines, wings and a 30mm Gatling gun in the nose!  It's called the A-10!  Brrrrrrrttttt! ;)

19 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

As Willy said to Joe when a friendly tank rolls by (Up Front With Bill Mauldin), "I'd rather dig. A movin' foxhole attracts the eye!"  OTOH, I think one of the best tanks has a crew of one, a pair of jet engines, wings and a 30mm Gatling gun in the nose!  It's called the A-10!  Brrrrrrrttttt! ;)

yep

It was Heinz Guderian who brought us the concept of the Combined Arms.   One of the critical key elements is the ground attack aircraft, of which the A-10 is an outstanding example,...... so too was the old Skyraider -- combining the ability to hit targets on the ground with the ability to hang around upstairs for considerable time periods.

such aircraft require fighter protection

and on today's battlefield the first issue likely taken up will be the good old Wild Weasel vs the surface to air (SAM) systems.   Evidently the F-35 is going to take over that role from the old Thud (F-105) ; we'll see how it does.    evidently the airforce is evaluating a couple new turbo-prop models for close air support.   I like the idea: to me an aircraft that tries to be a "jack of all trades" -- is likley to be a master of none

The Panzers follow the destruction left by the Skyraiders, Ju87s A-10s ...

Don't forget the F-15s in case those Wild Weasels need help.    methinks they likely will.

8 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

TTT I was XO of an Armor AIT company at Knox in 1970-71. Might have been before your time.

Take your foxhole with you.

Imis

Not sure how to take the foxhole comment. Although I’ve dug quite a few. 

38 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Tank is a portable foxhole, no need to dig every time you stop

Imis

Gotcha!  Over the years the number of foxhole jokes with armor you never know which way they are going. Lol

8 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Weapons like the Javelin make life hard for tankers.

Duffield, MOS 11H

Pravda (Russian) report on Javelin

during the 1973 Yom Kippur war Israeli tankers were able to learn tactics to avoid the Sager missile that was used by the Egyptians at the time.    The missle flew rather slowly -- and couldn't make a quick last second adjustment ( it was wire guided ) .   So: wait until the missle is almost on you and than hit the gas

8 hours ago, Grampaw Willie, SASS No.26996 said:

Pravda (Russian) report on Javelin

during the 1973 Yom Kippur war Israeli tankers were able to learn tactics to avoid the Sager missile that was used by the Egyptians at the time.    The missle flew rather slowly -- and couldn't make a quick last second adjustment ( it was wire guided ) .   So: wait until the missle is almost on you and than hit the gas

Kinda puts a whole new spin on playing chicken. Move too soon its OH CRAP. Wait tool long and its OH CRAP.  Move just right and its WHEW!

Archived