SASS Wire Forum

Forend wood repair

Rootin Tootin

Dropped my SKB to hard Sunday and took a sliver chunk out of the forend top left side. Is there someone out there that can do a repair. I do not have the piece that broke off so there will be some work involved in making a new piece for a repair....

Thanks.......RT

Johnny Meadows just fixed one for me. I haven't seen it yet but am confident that he does good work.

Got the gun today and he did in fact do a good job.

I'm sure any of the well known shotgun smiths could do that repair.  But I'll throw in another two thumbs up for Johnny Meadows.  He's repaired my forends and butt stocks more times than I care to admit. 

Send me your fore stock and I will fix it for you.

Cost depends on how much work I have to do.

I did a butt stock with JB weld.  Had to do it in two different application to build up the missing piece.  After sanding to shape I got gray grain and it does not look that bad.   I had planned on brownish paint and try to match but looks sorta of ok and looks like one of those gray tone laminated stocks you see.

When your stock breaks and pieces fly off......

Please do your best to find the piece.

AND - Please don't duct tape it back in place. The damn adhesive is a pain to remove.

Ace, that was my thought as well.  I searched the area's but it was almost impossible to find because there was hard wood mulch on all the stages as well as loading and unloading tables.......It all looks alike and whatever we picked up was wrong.........  Thanks   RT

Check at Shooting Sports. I think they might have contact for a local smith that might be able to help you. I was looking for someone and I think I got the contact info from them. Of course, I don't have it and can't remember the name.

2 hours ago, Rootin Tootin said:

Ace, that was my thought as well.  I searched the area's but it was almost impossible to find because there was hard wood mulch on all the stages as well as loading and unloading tables.......It all looks alike and whatever we picked up was wrong.........  Thanks   RT

You do the best you can do.

I once watched a guy with a brand new (2 week old/ second match) Stoeger.

As he engaged the targets downrange, pieces of the stock were flying straight up in the air like brass from a 73.

It really helps if you glass bed you stocks. It cuts down on the cracking and splitting of the stock wherever it has a sharp corner touching metal.

Archived