SASS Wire Forum

MEMORIAL DAY Weekend ~ We observe this weekend and remember every day. Be safe

MEMORIAL DAY.jpgThe Difference.jpg

I had 1 more pic & decided to add it.

Price of Freedom.jpg

I wonder why The War of Secession - the war that Rememberance Day (now Memorial Day) was started for - isn't listed?

You can call it the War of Secession, the War of the Rebellion, the War of Yankee Agression, the War Between the States, the Second American Revolution or the Big Fuss. I've seen/heard it called all those, at one time or another, and I'm sure there are others.

You shouldn't call it the Civil War, though, as it wasn't. A Civil War is a war to decide who will rule the country. Cromwell against Charles I, the Bolsheviks against Nicolai II, the Third Estate against Louis XVI were Civil Wars. The South didn't want to rule the US, they wanted to leave it.

American casualties in the War of Secession ran between 620 and 700 THOUSAND.

That's more than the total casualties of every other war we've ever been in.

I'm not poking at Charlie. All he did was post the picture. I'm just curious about why whoever made the picture left that one off.

I've taken to calling it The War of 1861.  Takes the emotional edge off of it.  

One thing usually overlooked is the number of civilian casualties.    Aside from the upwards of 800,000 military deaths, the US Surgeon General in the 1890s released a report that claimed that in the 1860s there were over 1,000,000 "excess civilian deaths."

The photoshopped list of conflicts is not important to me. It is a very personal day for me and many others.

19 hours ago, Alpo said:

I wonder why The War of Secession - the war that Rememberance Day (now Memorial Day) was started for - isn't listed?

You can call it the War of Secession, the War of the Rebellion, the War of Yankee Agression, the War Between the States, the Second American Revolution or the Big Fuss. I've seen/heard it called all those, at one time or another, and I'm sure there are others.

You shouldn't call it the Civil War, though, as it wasn't. A Civil War is a war to decide who will rule the country. Cromwell against Charles I, the Bolsheviks against Nicolai II, the Third Estate against Louis XVI were Civil Wars. The South didn't want to rule the US, they wanted to leave it.

American casualties in the War of Secession ran between 620 and 700 THOUSAND.

That's more than the total casualties of every other war we've ever been in.

I'm not poking at Charlie. All he did was post the picture. I'm just curious about why whoever made the picture left that one off.

My thought is that they missed it when they were putting things in.  The thing is, the day is not about sales in stores, barbecues, picnics etc, it is about honoring all military personnel who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.  The other thing is I bet I could count on one hand the number of people out of 100 that even know the true origins of the day (how it started); especially in today's society because they have have not taught it in schools in over 40 years.  Hint - it was during the time period that Alpo has referenced.  The picture referenced also doesn't reference military deaths in the westward settlement, other misc conflicts or military deaths in time of peace.  These soldiers also lost their lives in the service of our country.  So it is not the picture in and of itself, but the idea behind it, the meaning of the day.

Charlie

Archived