SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 rifle Bolt

Jackass Jim

At a local match I bent the tab on the bottom of the Bolt. This caused the rifle to lock up at the end of the lever stroke. When the problem was finally found a flat file on the bottom of the tab made the rifle work again. Seeing how it was bent I figured it was just a matter of time before it broke off. I received a new bolt from Taylor's and have it installed and working. Now the question, can I have a gunsmith mill the old bolt and replace the bottom tab with a replaceable tab with a pinned one? Kind of like the extractor.

Inquiring minds would like to know!

JJ

Yes, it can be done.  The question is - is it worth doing when you have to purchase the lower tab and pin and then pay for the labor to mill out the old lower bolt and attach it.  A whole new bolt assembly is a little over $100.  The wife and I just replaced the bolts in both of our main match rifles.  I did keep both old bolts to possibly do what you just suggested just in case a new bolt assembly is out of stock when we need it again.

Some hard core shooters I know have a new bolt assembly in the bag in their parts box.

Three Cut in NC does this repair.  I like having a bolt repaired with a good lower tab.  I've had 3 lower tabs break on original bolts and don't trust the original construction for the stress we put on the metal.

Had Three Cut repair a bolt for me as well. He did an excellent job. Milled a slot and set in a tool steel insert with the little tab on it. Held in with pins. Easy to deal with and did not cost much. 

New Uberti bolts have a replaceable tab from the factory !

36 minutes ago, Lead Monger said:

Had Three Cut repair a bolt for me as well. He did an excellent job. Milled a slot and set in a tool steel insert with the little tab on it. Held in with pins. Easy to deal with and did not cost much. 

New Uberti bolts have a replaceable tab from the factory !

Do you have Three Cuts contact info....maybe PM it to me.

Thanks 

Jim

7 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Yes, it can be done.  The question is - is it worth doing when you have to purchase the lower tab and pin and then pay for the labor to mill out the old lower bolt and attach it.  A whole new bolt assembly is a little over $100.  The wife and I just replaced the bolts in both of our main match rifles.  I did keep both old bolts to possibly do what you just suggested just in case a new bolt assembly is out of stock when we need it again.

Some hard core shooters I know have a new bolt assembly in the bag in their parts box.

If your rifle is properly headspaced for that bolt, it's not a bad idea to repair it and keep using it.  New replacement bolts don't always headspace the same as the original.

Several of our gunsmiths do this repair to bolts (in one way or another).  Lassiter for example tig welded a new tab of tool steel on one of mine, and it's run hard ever since.   A replaceable tab is real good, too, if done properly,.   Uberti is now making their bolts WITH such a replaceable tab.

A bent tab is often an indicator that the timing of the bolt and carrier is not set properly.   Please have the timing checked to make sure you won't continue to have problems with the bolt catching on the carrier.

Good luck, GJ

15 hours ago, Boothill Bandit, SASS# 48598 said:

If your rifle is properly headspaced for that bolt, it's not a bad idea to repair it and keep using it.  New replacement bolts don't always headspace the same as the original.

That is one of  the best reason to fix the old bolt plus it is stronger than the new bolt you will get! 

I checked the timing and head space on the new bolt from Taylor's and every thing looks good. Sent the old bolt to Three Cut so will check it when I get it back.

It would be nice to have spare that is a drop in. I'm hoping that will be.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE FOR THE ADVISE!!!

JJ

Long Hunters Shooting Supply has a really good video about this very subject. Check it out.

Archived