SASS Wire Forum

Winchester Miroku 1892 carbine in 38WCF ?

Warden Callaway

I was looking over the inventory at a small local gunshop yesterday and the only thing he had that was of interest was a new Winchester Miroku 1892 carbine in 38WCF.    I didn't show enough interest to have him hand it to me to examan as I felt his price was way too high.

I through it odd that it was in 38WCF.  I'd never seen one advertised before.   But looking at Winchester website,  I see it was produced at some time in the past.   Anyway,   my interest has compounded on the gun.   

But I just can't warm up to the stupid safety on the tang.  Looking at the parts diagram on Gun Parts Corp,  looks like a bunch of stupid parts that make up the safety, 

Anyone have experience with the Miroku 1892 and tang safety?   

Warden,

Not only is that stupid tang safety a nuisance, but the earlier Miroku '92s also had a really nasty (from our standpoint) rebounding hammer.  A royal PITA to get rid of for a lighter action.

I still have two Miroku 1892s had three but sold one. The tang safety is not a problem, push it forward and fire. I leave it off just like other safeties on other guns I have for CAS. The rebounding hammer can be eliminated fairly easily. The only thing I can say bad about them is they seem to break firing pins but you can get replacements. They are very nice as far as fit and finish and can be made to run real fast compared to other 92s I have worked with.

A Japanese Built 92 by Miroku or  Brazilian Built 92 By Rossi   ~ ( Taurus ) 

Both are Winchester Clones .

One has a Ugly Tang Safety.

And a rebounding hammer .

The other one has a Ugly Top firing pin  Safety .

Just because it licensed to say Winchester On it,

Dont Make it a Winchester .

Ever sense the Olin Company Made Winchesters they all have been clones .

They was just American Clones .  

I have Three Rossi Winchester 92 Clones Pre-safety .

And Two Post Safety .

Once slicked up and the  safety is removed, 

It dont matter much .

And Rossi Clones  can Be had Much cheaper then Miroku Clones can be had for .

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I was looking over the inventory at a small local gunshop yesterday and the only thing he had that was of interest was a new Winchester Miroku 1892 carbine in 38WCF.    I didn't show enough interest to have him hand it to me to examan as I felt his price was way too high.

I through it odd that it was in 38WCF.  I'd never seen one advertised before.   But looking at Winchester website,  I see it was produced at some time in the past.   Anyway,   my interest has compounded on the gun.   

But I just can't warm up to the stupid safety on the tang.  Looking at the parts diagram on Gun Parts Corp,  looks like a bunch of stupid parts that make up the safety, 

Anyone have experience with the Miroku 1892 and tang safety?   

How much?

8 minutes ago, Brett Black said:

Actually it means exactly that.

5 hours ago, Brett Black said:

A Japanese Built 92 by Miroku or  Brazilian Built 92 By Rossi   ~ ( Taurus ) 

Both are Winchester Clones .

One has a Ugly Tang Safety.

And a rebounding hammer .

The other one has a Ugly Top firing pin  Safety .

Ever sense the Olin Company Made Winchesters they all have been clones .

They was just American Clones .  

I have Three Rossi Winchester 92 Clones Pre-safety .

And Two Post Safety .

Once slicked up and the  safety is removed, 

It dont matter much .

And Rossi Clones  can Be had Much cheaper then Miroku Clones can be had for .

If it's a Winchester made by Miroku. IT'S a Winchester, as the are contracted by Winchester to make'em. No one but Miroku can put the Winchester logo on the barrel.

Miroku does fantastic work. Miroku make firearms for several American firearm companies.

OLG

2 hours ago, Brett Black said:

That's your opinion. 

We all know what opinions are like .

:huh:

It’s not my opinion. It’s legal fact. We can debate the quality of old and new Winchester’s, the design, or anything else. But debating the name is a fools errand. If you don’t like it, save up your money and buy the company. Then you can call it whatever you want. 

8 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

It’s not my opinion. It’s legal fact. We can debate the quality of old and new Winchester’s, the design, or anything else. But debating the name is a fools errand. If you don’t like it, save up your money and buy the company. Then you can call it whatever you want. 

I suppose You think the  HRA  Henry 1860 Original .

Is made by the same company because it says Henry On It. LOL 

Just Like S&W making PPK'S .

Its NOT a real PPK. LOL

Its the same thing .

Im not knocking the quality of the Clone . 

Miroku make beautiful guns .

But the are given the licence to put the name on the gun .

But its still NOT a Winchester .

Winchester went out of business and its just a Licencing game  FACT !

8 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Problem solved.

I traded into a Winchester 1892 rifle made in 1905 in 32WCF.  

Oliver Winchester died in 1880.  So is it a real Winchester? 

Pictures PLZ.

I have the same question about Colt. <_<

OLG

5ab5516e58286_Winchester189232WCF2March2018.jpg.beeaea4882427e94a5d028d479553089.jpg5ab55185429f8_Winchester189232WCF1March2018.jpg.7f98a350abd63d227482c83cc4ba88a2.jpg

Maybe better pictures later.  It's heavy overcast right now.  

Pretty typical,  all bluing gone,  dents, dings and scratches in wood but solid and not repaired.  Sliver off both sides of forend at tip.  

Seems to be complete and original and cycles well.  Bore is dark but just looks like it needs cleaning and shot.  

You look at some of the dings and you have to wonder how that could happen.  

Rather it'd been a 44WCF or 38WCF but it would have been a good bit higher.  I already have the "fixins" to run a 32WCF. 

40 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wonder how the forend came to have the same damage on both sides?

Sweet find for sure!

OLG

I would suspect the grain of the wood ran at an angle and same angle on each side.  I'm going to not bother changing or repairing it for now.   Just old battle scares.   The buttstock has some marks that look like some cryptic symbols. 

I have noticed a few minor details that I'll be compelled to fix.  I noted the screws in the forend cap set proud of the cap. Taking them out, I discovered they were small wood screws.  A couple of other screws look suspicious also.  I have two Winchester collector in my neighborhood who will spot every irregularity and likely have the screws, etc.   

Another thing not perfect as far as a collector value but I'm ok with,  the magizene tube is a new replacement.   But it looks right so no problem on a shooter.

I was able to better examine the bore with a bore light and it looks real nice.  

Archived