SASS Wire Forum

Question about leather

Enough about current events....

Why does it seem to take forever to break in black leather boots? I’ve owned two pair of them in my lifetime, and I can’t seem to soften them up or stretch them out enough so they’re comfortable like my other boots.

Any like experiences or solutions?

Were they the same type of leather, same manufacturer as other color boots? I can't say I've even noticed a difference.

Yep. The most recent ones are Dan Post Boots. I have one pair in brown and one in black-same size. The brown ones are the most comfortable boots I’ve ever owned. The black ones, I can wear for a few hours before my toes start to feel squished in and they get uncomfortable. I’ve used leather conditioner on them a few times, but they don’t seem to break in at all. I also had another pair of black boots that I did the same thing to and I even had them stretched, but no-go. I eventually gave them away.

34 minutes ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

Yep. The most recent ones are Dan Post Boots. I have one pair in brown and one in black-same size. The brown ones are the most comfortable boots I’ve ever owned. The black ones, I can wear for a few hours before my toes start to feel squished in and they get uncomfortable. I’ve used leather conditioner on them a few times, but they don’t seem to break in at all. I also had another pair of black boots that I did the same thing to and I even had them stretched, but no-go. I eventually gave them away.

Interesting. I can't say I have a reasonable explanation. The most obvious thought is something in the dying process to get black, perhaps something they add in addition to the dye. I don't recall having a black pair of Justin's, the western boots I've always owned. Lots of brown, tan, and even gray, but no black that I recall. Most of my black footwear has either been shoes, the black ones seem to have broken in just fine. (Johnston and Murphy and Florsheim). I've had a myriad of black boots in the military. Issued combat boots, jungle boots, winter boots. About the most comfortable boots I can recall owning were a black pair of Danner boots. Heavy, but just snug enough on my feet, which is saying a lot.

Did you try the old military trick of filling them with hot water and letting them soak before putting them on to dry? It sucks, but it worked when I was in Basic. As the saying goes, if the shoe fits, the Army didn't issue it.

I know next to nothing about leather, but I've noticed that when I look at old military holsters, I never see verdigris on the black ones, only on the brown ones.  I wonder if the phenomenons are related.  I was told that the black holsters were originally brown and turned black with shoe polish and elbow grease. 

I would echo with Doc Ward said.  They use wet molding for holsters so it should work for feet.  The sweat from your feet will eventually get the leather to mold to your foot but the leather determines the speed at which it will "break in".    My boots have historically been Tony Lama's as they fit my foot the best.  I have used a couple pair of Ariats lately.  They fit pretty well also.  Not much for break in.  Quality of the leather, thickness, tanning process, the lasts used (can't imagine they use different ones for different colors).  I don't think color has much to do with it.  Cow hide vs. calf hide, etc. 

I just ordered a pair of Tecovas.  A company out of Austin that has the boots hand made in Leon, MX.  I'm anxious to see how they fit.  My right foot is a mess.  Big toe, toe nail is all messed up. got stomped on by a horse ( I think it actually was broken and didn't set correctly), it is ingrown with a big curl on the inside, nail fungus (gross) and then I acquired fasciitis.  Makes walking a real joy.  I'll let you know how they turn out.  I ordered black ones as my Lama's were getting a bit scuffed up and not as comfortable to wear with my foot issues.

My shooters boots, stovepipes, are Lama's.  Fit like a glove.  Black and brown.

I have worn Corcoran jump boots for over 50 years, and long after the Air Force.  A couple of years ago, I ordered a new pair through a surplus store.  For whatever reason, I could NOT get them to break in completely!  Now Corcoran changed hands.  I suspect something in the leather or whatever material they are using in the tops is different, though I can't prove it.  I HAVE had problems with different brands of leather in the past causing problems when I made holsters.  Just have to watch them.  If they aren't right and you can't do anything...give them to some poor soul who doesn't have any shoes!

I think the best I could do is to set them in a bucket of water and hope the water penetrates the leather. I can’t fill them with water because they are waterproof, and have a gor-tex lining on the inside.

If all else fails, I’ll have to follow Trailrider’s advice and give them to some poor soul who they’ll fit.

Thanks for the replies and advice, pards.

Finagler,

I have something wrong with my right toe that is similar to your problem. Dropped a bar of 3” round crs on it when I was in machine shop in HS. I’ve had an ingrown toenail ever since, and it’s a real joy trimming and pulling the ingrown part out when it starts to cause me pain....

No water.  At least not a soaking.

I never advise anyone to slop on Neats Foot Oil or anything that will soften the leather. It will remain that way. However, the boots are a different problem. I would apply some "oil" lightly to the areas that you want to become supple/broke in. And wear the boots a lot. Conditioners that provide water resistance will not do good. And, no, NF oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil will not become "rancid". Well, if you don't put the boots in a humid, dark place with little or no moving air. 

Apply a little NF and set them in the sunshine. The warmth will help the NF to migrate.

I used isopropyl alcohol to facilitate stretching mine. Poured some in a spray bottle and sprayed on just enough to dampen the leather. The used my boot stretchers to open the toe box just a little.

As a side note boot stretchers come in different designs. Some stretch the toe area and others stretch the arch.

9 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

Thanks, Red. That sounds a lot better than trying to saturate them with water.

I would go with what Red Cent says. He's a leather worker, I'm decidedly not. The water saturation works with normal leather (since you have the Gore-Tex, I agree that would seem to be a problem), but his option is likely better. The thing to remember is in Basic, we didn't really have time to wait, you do. Of course, the boots I did that with lasted a good long time. 

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I used isopropyl alcohol to facilitate stretching mine. Poured some in a spray bottle and sprayed on just enough to dampen the leather. The used my boot stretchers to open the toe box just a little.

As a side note boot stretchers come in different designs. Some stretch the toe area and others stretch the arch.

Thanks Dave. It may come to me getting a boot stretcher as I have a wide foot and a high arch, not to mention needing more toe room.

Wouldn’t the alcohol take the natural oils out of the leather?

2 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

Thanks Dave. It may come to me getting a boot stretcher as I have a wide foot and a high arch, not to mention needing more toe room.

Wouldn’t the alcohol take the natural oils out of the leather?

Once I was done and happy I applied a good leather treatment and they are good as new.

Archived