SASS Wire Forum

A Soldiers Story

Howdy

Abilene Slim posted a story on the first  US  female Brig General who passed aged 97.

It got me to thinking of my Dad who falsified his age to 17 when actually 16 & then served with the British Commonwealth Occupation Forces in Japan for 5 years [ 44 - 49 ] & then not long after went to Korea in Sept '50  with the 3rd [ Australian ] Infantry Battalion where after 7 months was hit by a machine gun to the leg. This is where the Brig General comes in as I learn't that she set up the hospital & I'm sure my father would have ended up there as he said the decision was to amputate his leg but it was a young male american doctor that saved it.He also did a tour of Vietnam in 1970 with 5 Company RAASC [ Transport ] . He was a Warrant Officer Class One when he retired in 1984 after 41 years.

I lost Dad last August 23rd, he was diagnosed with leukaemia at age 85 & battled on to 90 before he went, ironically it was the radiation from Japan.

Dad didn't talk much about his overseas service but I do remember he once said that when he went to Korea they would have all frozen to death if it wasn't for the 'Yanks as they gave them all the coats, boots outfits etc to keep the cold out, the Australian Government had sent them grossly under prepared.

I miss him...just thought I'd share..thanks.

I was in Vietnam with a large headquarters that had a contingent of Australian Officers.  They always had the most popular table in the Officers Club.

2 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Howdy

Abilene Slim posted a story on the first  US  female Brig General who passed aged 97.

It got me to thinking of my Dad who falsified his age to 17 when actually 16 & then served with the British Commonwealth Occupation Forces in Japan for 3 years & then not long after went to Korea with the 3rd [ Australian ] Infantry Battalion where after 4 months was hit by a machine gun to the leg. This is where the Brig General comes in as I learn't that she set up the hospital & I'm sure my father would have ended up there as he said the decision was to amputate his leg but it was a young male american doctor that saved it.He also did a tour of Vietnam in 1970 with 5 Company RAASC [ Transport ] . He was a Warrant Officer Class One when he retired in 1984 after 41 years.

I lost Dad last August 23rd, he was diagnosed with leukaemia at age 85 & battled on to 90 before he went, ironically it was the radiation from Japan.

Dad didn't talk much about his overseas service but I do remember he once said that when he went to Korea they would have all frozen to death if it wasn't for the 'Yanks as they gave them all the coats, boots outfits etc to keep the cold out, the Australian Government had sent them grossly under prepared.

I miss him...just thought I'd share..thanks.

Great story,  as an add on to the prior one about the Gen. My Dad was Navy man,  a Korean War vet. I lost my Dad in 2015. Still think of him every day.

I fell in with a bunch of Auzzie air force guys in 'Nam in 1968-1969.   I was at Cam Ranh Bay and they were stationed down at Phan Rang (or Phan Thiet... never could keep them apart) with a Canberra bomber group.  We supplied them with some of the parts they needed (some of their vehicles were the same as ours except some dummy put their steering wheels on the wrong side) and they paid us back with steak, "shrimp", beer, and over odds and ends.  All this was arranged between my Battalion Commander and their CO, very loosely legitimate.

"The mob from Oz" was a crazy group of men that we got along with better than we did with a lot of our own troops.  One and all, they had a marvelous sense of humor and a generosity that was overwhelming.

If any of you know a Flight Lieutenant Graham Campbell tell him "Howdy" for me and ask him to pass it on to anyone else that was with us.

May your father rest in peace and honored glory.

Mohawk,

He wasn't there in April 51 was he?

The Battle of Kapyong is a Battle Honour on the Colours of 3 RAR, as well as some others.

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/encyclopedia/kapyong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Battalion,_Royal_Australian_Regiment

On 14/01/2018 at 12:13 PM, Major Crimes said:

Mohawk,

He wasn't there in April 51 was he?

The Battle of Kapyong is a Battle Honour on the Colours of 3 RAR, as well as some others.

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/encyclopedia/kapyong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Battalion,_Royal_Australian_Regiment

Howdy Major

By his records he was BCOF  Japan  Jan 44  -  Jan  49

Then  Korea Sept  50  - April  51 [ shot but not sure if Kapyong ]

12 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Pretty big coincidence, shot in April 51.

There were 59 wounded at Kapyong he could well have been one of them.

The photo is:

General J. Van Fleet, General Officer Commanding, US Eigth Army, inspects members of the 3 RAR while bestowing the Presidential citation in recognition of the unit's action at Kapyong.083857

kapyong.gif

083857.JPG

Major...When I next see Mum I will look at his medals/ribbons, I know there is the Infantry Combat badge from Vietnam but not sure about Kapyong..I have the feeling his incident was before.

Archived