SASS Wire Forum

Oil-less turkey fryer.......anybody used one?

I keep seeing these around, sounds too good to be true to me. Love fried turkey. Some years ago Salty Sarah bought one of those high dollar electrified, computerized, digitalized, transistorized jobs. Worked great, except that it took about $30 worth of oil to cook a $10 turkey (they almost give those away at holiday time). Used it about twice and it died. Not to mention it was a melluva hess to clean up. Just curious.

Much obliged,

JHC

I never used one of these or even a real turkey fryer. But I do have culinary training and experience.   Sfter seeinf your questions I read about these oil-less fryers.

My observations follow.

Made in China. I don't know if they are all are made in China.

If it's not oil it's not fried. I believe they call it that because it looks like an oil fryer.

"Up to 18 lbs."  Do you drive your car at the red line?  12 lbs seems more reasonable and is recommended.

Is it worth it just to get the job done faster?

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Inquiring minds and all ))))

How long has it sat idle??

Do you look at it and think of doing something with it? (Cooking? regift? Donate? Target?)

The heat allowed the innards to rust.  It has set under my house for about 10 years.  Couldn't get the inside done without burning the skin.  Target is a possibility!

We have one after trying a turkey at a friend’s house. Love it!  Same moist bird and crispy skin without $30 in oil and a messy cleanup. 

As folks have said, it is not “fried”.  More of an IR roast. But it makes a great turkey!

Follow this guys directions and you'll never do it any other way ever again. There is NO shortcut to cooking exceptional food. Yes there is a lot to read but trust me IT IS WORTH IT.

One warning: if you put in the time to learn the proper techniques, then the recipes on this website will produce food so good that you may give up going out because a restaurant you can afford cannot match the quality of what you can cook at home.

Barbecue Turkey And Grilled Turkey: The Ultimate Turkey Recipe. Easily Adapted To Cooking Indoors.

Archived