SASS Wire Forum

Need a little automotive help.

Dorado

I'm having trouble locating a part I need and thought that y'all might be able to help me.

My 1968 Ford Mustang's starter went out the other day and I'm trying to rebuild it. I want to reuse it as it's original to the car and has the right numbers. The contacts in it came off and jammed the rotor. I got the rotor fixed and everything is working except that the contact is gone now. It's not engaging the bendix. Can anyone out there help me. I just want the contact.

Floyd's Electric in Grand Rapids Michigan 

616-534-8691

Find a competent remanufacturing establishment in your area!  They will be HAPPY to replace the needed parts in your starter!!

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Are you talk'n about the carbon brushes that 'ride' the armature?

You may have to buy a new starter, and cannibalize it.

OLG

Not the brushes. Those are easy to find and I have a spare set. These are contacts that are outside of the main case under a cap where the armature is. I'm looking for a starter with a good set but they're hard to find.

4 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

616-534-8691

I'll give them a call.

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Find a competent remanufacturing establishment in your area!  They will be HAPPY to replace the needed parts in your starter!!

All of them say to chunk it and buy a new one. I AM the competent remanufacturing establishment...as usual...

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Try Johnson Electric Motor Service in Greenville TX. (903) 455-1562

I'll call them tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips.

Try these folks in Nashville, TN  Auto Electric Service 615  647 6447

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Can you post a picture of the contacts?

OLG

That's the problem! Mine came off! LOL!!

I'll see if I can get a picture of where they go.

22 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Are you talk'n about the carbon brushes that 'ride' the armature?

You may have to buy a new starter, and cannibalize it.

OLG

Here are the pictures I promised.

What I need is the contact that goes in that little hole.

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

I'm pretty sure that'd melt or have other adverse effects.

On 10/4/2017 at 5:34 PM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

616-534-8691

I think they've got it! A kit that may contain it at least. I'm gonna order it and see what happens. I'm very excited! I really need to get this under cover soon. I can't until I can start it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2017 at 5:34 PM, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

616-534-8691

Rooster thanks. They had the part I needed and it came in today. I got it installed and tested. It works beautifully. Gonna install the starter tomorrow and go for a ride.

It sure is. A wealth of knowledge that I can count on.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

TNX for the update.

I would keep a spare on hand-;)

OLG

Probably so. I had spare brushes, bushings, and a gasket. I just didn't have the contact. I probably should have ordered two but if this works out as well as the original one did then I've got another 50 years in it. If not then I know who to call to get another set.

Now if I could only make up my mind about rebuilding the engine. It'll need that soon and I'll do it. What I'm wondering is if I should drop in a bigger crank and stroke the engine out or not. Right now it has the base 289, which is the same engine as the 302 just with different heads. I've got heads, a 4bbl intake for it and a carb that came off a Shelby GT350, it'll all bolt on just fine. I'm thinking of a slightly longer crank to turn it to about a 315, add a hotter cam, and better valves and I'll be burning rubber! I will have to bore the cylinders so I'll need new pistons. I'm thinking hypereutectic. No boost, naturally aspirated only.

Then I'll have to consider upgrading the exhaust. Right now it only has the stock single pipe. I will be getting dual exhaust. But what muffler? Definitely not Flowmaster, Magnaflow maybe. I love glasspacks like Cherrybombs, but I don't think they're right for this application.

If you want to keep it OEM-Don't play with engine mods. Isn't this the reason you kept the OEM starter?? :huh:

Why do you feel the engine needs a rebuild? Have you done a compression and leak-down test?

Have you had an engine oil analysis done?

FWIW: I love Flowmaster........

OLG

I want it to look OEM on the outside. Inside I want better performance. The heads, intake, and carb I have for it are factory Ford parts and you'd really have to know your stuff to tell them from the originals. Numbers are nearly the same but still not out of place. Only thing that'd be obvious would be the dual exhaust. An aftermarket starter would stand out more. Factory starter would still be more than strong enough.

Engine is loosing compression, I know the seals are starting to leak, a couple of valves are ticking, and the exhaust is smoking too. It's time for an overhaul. Might as well put some better parts in while I'm at it.

Archived