SASS Wire Forum

Help for New Shooter

Null N. Void

My Nephew has visited me here in NC and really wants to shoot more Cowboy matches.  He's practiced here on visits and has shot 3 matches.  His times are in the 35 to 40 seconds per stage and understands and complies with all the safety rules.   

He lives in Lake Forrest, Illinois.  From what I understand, it's complicated for he and his Dad to purchase the guns that he needs.  Any guidance on that would be great.  He shoot my guns here, which are .357 Mag Rugers, a short stroked Uberti '73 and a '97 shotgun.  He handles all three types of firearms well.

His Dad is not a shooter but will support him for the sport.  What are the best local clubs for him to visit and shoot at?  I have given him some leather, cloths and a hat.  If it's possible for him to buy some commercial ammo and borrow guns for a match until he gets his, that would be great.  

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Null N. Void

Check out http://buffalocartridge.com/

They have been getting involved with Cowboy Action, sponsoring and such.

Or https://choiceammunition.com/cowboy-action/

(I have no connection to either of these companies, just providing a suggestion)

(I also have not purchased ammo from either)

if i understand correctly illinois can be a difficult state , it was when i lived there in the late 70s and i can only think its worse , but you get a licence , assuming you have no record ,  to purchase that involves the background checks [may be more-fingerprints?] then you buy with possible wait periods , i think there is a cost for the "paperwork & research" and there may well be more than that , but it is doable , i think there is age stipulation on ownership - particularly handguns , 

FWIW the closer to chicago you get the worse it is , 

Null N. Void,

First have your nephew and his dad get their Firearms Owner ID card (FOID).  Applications should be available at any police station, sheriff's office or most gun shops.  The fee is $10 for 10 years  This will allow them to purchase and possess (possess is a legal term, if he is holding it he is in possession of it regardless if he owns it or not) any legal firearms in the state.

Lake Forrest or the county it is located in may have some restrictions, but usually cowboy guns are not a problem.  It would depend on the wording if there is a mag limit.  Usually fixed mags are except.

I am not familiar with any clubs in his area, but there are many scattered though out the state.

I am located quite a way further south, but my phone number is listed on the Kaskaskia Cowboys web site if they have any specific questions feel free to have them contact me.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

I shoot at clubs near the quad cities. Always willing to help someone get started in CAS.  Have him contact me for full info!

He lives 50 minutes away from a cowboy friend of mine (Huckleberry) and about two hours from the Good Guys Posse in Winnebago, IL. I'm sure Huck would be happy to offer assistance. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you Huck's phone number. Huck is a gunsmith too.  

He lives about 40 minutes from the range that I shoot at. Huckleberry, who was named in the previous post, is one of our match directors. Our website is bristolcowboys.com. He can get a lot of info there and also contact information and phone numbers for our match directors. I believe we still have a set of loaner guns for new shooters to use and we also have a category called Working Cowboy that only requires a rifle and one pistol. This allows new shooters to participate without being hit with the cost of four firearms at once. We also have a new shooter posse on our Saturday shoots that  has experienced shooters helping out and walking new shooters through the stages so it is less stressful.

glad to hear your going ahead , good luck to your brother [and you] and cowboy on , 

i have not shot in iowa , even tho it is my home state , because they have some silly rule regarding kids shooting handguns , and i shoot with a good number of kids , ive never shot in illinois but have thought it might be fun to join some folks ive met over the years , i hope all goes well , 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:57 PM, Null N. Void said:

My Nephew has visited me here in NC and really wants to shoot more Cowboy matches.  He's practiced here on visits and has shot 3 matches.  His times are in the 35 to 40 seconds per stage and understands and complies with all the safety rules.   

He lives in Lake Forrest, Illinois.  From what I understand, it's complicated for he and his Dad to purchase the guns that he needs.  Any guidance on that would be great.  He shoot my guns here, which are .357 Mag Rugers, a short stroked Uberti '73 and a '97 shotgun.  He handles all three types of firearms well.

His Dad is not a shooter but will support him for the sport.  What are the best local clubs for him to visit and shoot at?  I have given him some leather, cloths and a hat.  If it's possible for him to buy some commercial ammo and borrow guns for a match until he gets his, that would be great.  

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Null N. Void

Null N. Void:

Just thought this might be appropriate at this time.

We have many SASS Members who are true ambassadors of our sport and we ALL try to let them know who they are and how much we appreciate their helping others get involved in the sport in many different ways.

59721f79cf98e_AmbassasorAwardPresentation.JPG.c55587402f2dbbb8dce491efe997f69e.JPG

Archived