SASS Wire Forum

i like the animals protecting my son

Trigger Mike

my 12 year old wanted to go camping by himself in the yard.  he watches mountain man and alone and fancies himself in their category somewhat.  I let him and noticed the older male cat took a post 30 feet away from his tent and stayed.  he has been there in that spot over an hour.  the dogs are scattered nearby as well and laid down as if they intend to stay.  the male cat just showed up here one day 4 years ago and must like it here.  when my 5 year old goes outside he sets nearby while she plays in the sand or if she walks down the driveway he follows her until she gets home gain or if i head in her direction he will walk away.  Since i killed a rattler in the front yard i am thankful the pets pay the children such attention.

I grew up with Siamese she-cats. Both of them acted just as you describe.  I saw one of them kill a dog, in two separate events, when the strange dog was aggressive around us kids.

A cat will never be as obedient as a dog but they can be quite protective.

Anyone see the video of the cat saving a small child from an abusive babysitter? Cat came from downstairs as it heard something that wasn't right. Cat saw the babysitter beating the toddler and then attacked the sitter.

Would still prefer a German Sheppard or other large dog but a good animal is a good animal.

Had a five pound Chihuahua mix that was very defensive of my kids.  Ran a full grown German shepard off and bulldozed an English bulldog into the middle of the street.  She was afraid of nothing except the bath tub.  Died in my arms at sixteen and a half years old.

I still miss that little mutt.

Years and years ago my Dad decided my little brother needed a couple of spankings so off to the backyard they went. Our Collie decided she did not like dad's demeanor nor his aggressive action and she turned on Dad.

She was a great family dog for 12 years or so but she sure put the youngsters first on her list of people to protect. 

That incident was an eye opener to the protective nature of our critters.

We had an Orange tabby cat that my wife rescued from the pound. She got it because ti was the noisiest cat in the place, so she figured he really wanted out. He was in medical quarantine because he was in bad shape when he came in, but he got better after being with us. He always went  out when he heard my wife driving home. He musta heard her car from a mile away, always knew about 3 minutes before she got home. One time he was waiting in the yard, and I happened to be out there also. Just as she was pulling up a guy  was walking his German Shepard pup, maybe half grown. That cat looked at me, looked at the dog, and back at me, and I swear he had a "a cat's gotta do what a cat's gotta do" look on his face, bristled up to twice his size and rushed the dog, hissing away. Scared the crap outa the dog, who dragged the owner across the street, who yelled back at me "you're cat's crazy". Then he walked up to my wife and jumped into her arms just like he always did. He never did anything like that before, and I always wondered if the fact that she was 6 months pregnant had anything to do with it. Not possible, right? Poor sick cat managed to live 21 years! Still miss ol' Tony.

Archived