SASS Wire Forum

How we put our Match Booklets together for each match at Thunder River Renegades

One of the goals of our club is to keep the membership informed; we have a club newsletter Thunder River World-Guardian, emails (some say an endless stream), and Match Booklets for each of our two monthly events.  

These booklets give the description of each Stage, diagrams of the props and target arrays and a place to keep track of your times, bonuses and procedurals. 

Our beloved Range Master Oklahoma Dee will write up the scenarios (MS Word) and create the diagrams (MS Power Point).  

He then sends them to the board for proofreading.  

Once that is complete the secretary, that would be me, will put these two documents together in booklet form (.pdf file)

An aside:  to print these in true booklet form with descriptions on the left and diagrams on the right you have to be able to have a printer that will duplex (print on both sides during the printing process); most folks don't have this type of printer or are not well versed in its use, therefore,

We set our booklet up so you have both the diagram and description on the same piece of paper so it isn't a real booklet but close enough for our members to use.

I do a bit of formatting when the two are combined and we have received positive response from the members for developing this.

Here are the three files we use for each booklet:

descriptions from Range Master:  http://www.thunderriverrenegades.com/match_booklets/TRR_05-2017_Saturday.docx   

diagrams of each Stage:  http://www.thunderriverrenegades.com/match_booklets/TRR_05-2017_Saturday.pptx 

completed Booklet:  http://www.thunderriverrenegades.com/match_booklets/Sunday_May_Booklet_rev_1.pdf 

Question Cheyenne Ranger: Your mention of "Cody Dixon" in the stages. What is that? 

I'm looking at your stages with the idea of plagiarizing them a bit for use at our posse. (OK, I admit, I have little or no imagination)

Thanks

Judge Duncan: the only extra time for us is putting it in booklet form.  The other two are used to print out the stage descriptions/diagrams for each stage

I can take the corrected 6 stages and diagrams and have a booklet together in 30-45 minutes.  A couple of hours a month is a small price to pay for helping the membership understand what's in store for them and up their 'enjoyment factor'  

Cold Lake Kid:  C-D is a Texas club category where in place of the SASS main rifle you use a lever or single shot big bore rifle and shoot at targets from 50-125 yards out.  

I'd be happy to send you several months of our stages if you wish.  Just let me know

cr

Cheyenne Ranger:

Thanks for the explanation of Cody Dixon. I thought that's what it might be. I have 4 different single shot .45-70's and ammo I can offer up for a stage or two, each match, just to let my pards try them and get feel for what it was like.

I'd appreciate receiving some of your stages. It gives me/us ideas for our own and an appreciation of what others are doing around the continent.

I'm at thgable@gmail.com

Thanks pard.

On 5/15/2017 at 9:50 AM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Question Cheyenne Ranger: Your mention of "Cody Dixon" in the stages. What is that? 

I'm looking at your stages with the idea of plagiarizing them a bit for use at our posse. (OK, I admit, I have little or no imagination)

Thanks

http://www.thss.org/rules/cody-dixon-rules/

Thanks Cheyenne Ranger. I see the stages in my mail box. I'll print them out and figure out what we can do, based on our steel and props.

Houstson CAS: Thanks for the Cody/Dixon rules. We have an annual Long Range Buffalo Rifle Match; so far only 100 and 200 yards because of required range approvals needed from the CFO. Interestingly, we don't allow .30-30's, non-lead bullets or gas checked lead although we are using AR500 steel

I think I'll write stages using allowing the shooter to do it in whatever category they are in, but adding a "Buffalo" rifle to be shot two or three times, using supplied ammo, and giving a 5 second bonus time reduction for hitting a gong. Buffalo rifle must be shot, just to keep things even.:D

Thanks again Pards.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived