SASS Wire Forum

I have an Alpo question

What Charlie needed was a subway token, since that's what the MTA used instead of U.S. coins. Maybe that's why he never returned -- didn't have the fare for the return trip.

Followup question, Reuben:

Why is a clean-cut folk trio playing guitar and banjos singing about subway fare increases? I never seen nobody who looked like them when I lived in NYC!

:D:lol:

5 hours ago, Reuben McCoy Rankin # 34239 said:

Why didn't Charles's wife hand him a dime instead of

handing him a sandwich through the open window as the train came rumbling through ?

I thought it wuz a nickel he was missing, not a dime.

a man named Charlie trapped on Boston's subway system, until 1964 known as the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA)....The song has become so entrenched in Boston lore that the Boston-area transit authority named its electronic card-based fare collection system the "CharlieCard" as a tribute to this song.[2] The transit organization, now called the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA),   per wikipedia

The epitome of nerddom:  to save some money, my mother made my shirts for a while, and she made several for me with vertical stripes like the Kingston Trio when I was in Jr. & Sr. high school.  She was a good seamstress, the stripes on the pockets lined up perfectly with the ones on the rest of the shirt.  I got good comments from the girls who took Home Ec., and some other comments from guys who weren't into folk music.  

Wish I still had (and could fit into) those shirts.

My understanding is that Charlie, a proud and humble man, never returned and his fate was never learned.

:-(

11 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I thought it wuz a nickel he was missing, not a dime.

You are right again.

He put a dime in his pocket but needed one more nickel.

Archived