SASS Wire Forum

Latest Flintlock Build

guitar_slinger

A little back story on this gun:

It i what is commonly referred to as a canoe gun.  The name comes from a short "carbine" gun that was easy to handle in a canoe or on horseback.  Most of the original canoe guns that have survived from the 1760's appear to have been full length guns that were later cut off instead of being made that way.  The common assumption is that a trapper or hunter took the gun to the fort blacksmith or the trading post blacksmith and had a foot or so cut off the muzzle end of the barrel.

With that as the back story, allow me to offer some info about this gun.

Black Walnut stock.  54 cal (28ga) smoothbore barrel.  29" long (13" sorter of the standard 42" barrel).

copy of a 1716 French Commercial flintlock.

Copy of French Military Musket side plate.  Copy of French civilian fowling piece trigger guard.  Heavily modified ramrod thimbles to resemble European civilian pieces.  Butt Plate is a copy of one from a French fowling piece made in the 1750's.  Simple single trigger.

Here is the finished gun.  and following will be a link to an album showing the build process

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jeffnles1/French Fowler/IMG_4075_zpsh7bvacjs.jpg

Build Process Album:

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/jeffnles1/library/French Fowler

IMG_4075.jpg

Hope you all enjoy.

GS

IMG_4075.jpg

Beautiful craftsmanship. 

Very nice. No, that doesn't seem to do it justice. I would be proud to own something that looks like that, and even more proud to have the talent to build one.

Absolutely LOVE the French heritage you're building into this one!

That's a gorgeous build!

Very  nice . I hope  you  enjoy  shooting  it as much  as you  must  have  enjoyed  building  it.

Cowboy  Small  

Thanks Pards.  Shot her today.  Need to tweak a couple things.  I got the inletting on the barrel tang a bit too tight and started to see a slight bulge around the back of the tang under recoil so have to take the barrel out, see if there is the start of a split along the grain and wick some glue in there & press it back down then hit the back of the tang with a file a few strokes to give some expansion room.

Other than that, it shot well, went bang, lock is really fast.  Recoil is brisk but not abusive.

The gun weighs 5 pounds 7 ounces. Those of you who know muzzle loaders know this is a VERY light weight gun.  54 caliber out of a 5 1/2 pound gun does lend itself to some snappy recoil.

GS

Archived