SASS Wire Forum

NONN SASS-FN/FAL RIFLES- inch or metric

Metric is more common, but an inch pattern gun will use either style mag. That said I've only seen about 3 inch pattern mags in the last 20 years. Most parts are interchangeable. Most guns you will find are metric, even the ones built from inch kits, like the old century guns, are built on metric receivers. I've had just about every one, L1A1 on a Enterprise inch pattern receiver, Israeli H-bar, STG58 on a Imbel receiver, just could not make myself like them, much prefer an AR.

Small differences but quite a few. Basically the Common Wealth troops used inch pattern riffles everybody else metric.

The FAL files has some info on the differences

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/printthread.php?threadid=287307

The M14 place has a good post on the differences.

http://m14forum.com/foreign/36787-fal-inch-vs-metric.html

Buying a used one is a risky proposition as a lot of those rifles are put together rifles. Who built it and what is their skill level?

I had a STG58 on a Imbel receiver. I went through 3 parts kit to build a good rifle. I ended up with a good rifle, a ok rifle and a beater. All three rifles cosmetically looked great, parts bead blasted and cleaned, nice ceracoat finish.

I later had a DS Arms much better rifle, if you have to have one look at a DS Arms.

Finally bought a FN SCAR 17 much better rifle. More Accurate than any FAL. More accurate than my M1A. Lighter than bolth of them.

Forgot that Springfield Armory also produced the FAL for a short while.

Edited by Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L

Springfields were built for them from Argentina on FN machinery ala FM Fabrique militare. Not sure if they were metric or inch??

DSA builds some really nice ones these days not too expensive. was looking at

one at Rifle Gear it was an FN Para for $1600ish.

I too prefer an AR pattern rifle. Bought one of the new daniel defense V's

very nice.

that said when i was a younger lad I wanted an FN so bad but like most couldn't

afford it when i was younger.

I own several, both metric and inch. I built them all back when ammo was cheap and so were kits. I have always liked the looks of the inch rifles and the safety is much easier to release on them. As far as metric rifles go I like the STG-58 best. The bipod on them is a pretty cool feature. They are a good rifle, but I would have to say I still prefer an M1A1 or .308 caliber AR-15 for serious shooting. The sights on the FAL are good battle sights, but don't have the adjustments of the M1A or the easy to scope ability of an AR-15 pattern rifle.

I used the Aust SLR for the first 5 years of my career in the Aust army.

They were a great rifle and I do prefer it to the Steyr, but we must move on.

https://www.google.com.au/search?safe=active&rls=com.microsoft:en-AU:IE-SearchBox&biw=1920&bih=986&tbm=isch&q=australian+slr+rifle&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjElrb37avRAhVFtJQKHZ_PCswQhyYIGg