SASS Wire Forum

? for the Ladies on leather

Eyesa Horg

My "Ellie Phant" will be shooting CAS with me next season. We need to get a holster rig and shotgun belt. Could you Ladies share some opinions on what you like. I.E. --- buckle in back or front, shot shells on the holster belt or a separate belt, etc.. She seems to like the look of rigs similar to the Lady Tequila or Holy Terror, she also liked the rigs from J-M leather with the shot shell loops built into the front and buckle in the back. All opinions are appreciated as it will be difficult for her try someone Else's B4 spring and would like to get something good to begin with.

Much Obliged,

Eyesa

Below is an excellent rig for ladies. I'm an accomplished leather guy so I took ideas from this rig and designed my own version for my wife.

If you want to just purchase one "off the shelf", the Tequila Ladies Rig by Kirkpatrick is hard to beat.

http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/old-west

PS It rides at your waist which would help keep your blouse tucked in.

I worry about that....

Allie---- Thank you, We hadn't checked out the Ted Blocker rigs. The one in your photo looks like it would be quite comfortable. Also, has less bling than the Lady Tequila ( which we have been looking at ). Ellie isn't a bling sort a gal.

Keep the opinions coming ladies, we won't be ordering until after XMAS.

EH & EP

PS It rides at your waist which would help keep your blouse tucked in.

Also seems it would keep a light colored blouse cleaner not having a belt around it.

Hi Eyesa;

I purchased the LadyTequila in brown from Kirkpatrick about 6 years ago and I still love it and bought another in black last year. I did notice that my black Lady Tequila doesn't have as much studs on it as my old one. One of the things I like about it, it has metal in the holster that holds it out when putting the gun back into it. I like having the buckle in the back where it doesn't pinch the belly. I did change out the shotshell holder in front to hold extra 38 ammo and then wear a shotgun belt.
It only took about 4 weeks for Kirkpatrick to make my rig.

Bella Coola

BTT Looking like the Lady Tequila is getting the most nods, maybe it can be made with less bling----

I had my rig made with removable shotgun shell holders. Two stiff packets hold 3 pairs each, and snap into the backside of the belt. Another feature I like is holsters that will move on the belt. This makes adjusting for costuming features easier.

Howdy-

My daughter Snazzy and I have been using Kirkpatrick Long Hunter holsters for a long time. We started with other rigs but when my husband got the Long Hunter Rig back in 2007 or so we all agreed the holsters were the way to go. Both Snazzy and I use the belts from our original rigs but if I had to do it over again we'd buy the entire rig. All four of us including our son use these LH holsters and love them. I think the belt is more a personal preference/comfort thing but we all have front buckle belts and use separate shotgun belts that hold at least 14 rounds...Doc Noper is the way to go for a shotgun belt by the way.

Good Luck!

AA

Depending on where you are...I had a local Amish leather worker make mine. I take pictures of what I want and he can replicate exactly. I do really like that my shotgun belt is separate, can hold more shells...just in case! I also have a crossdraw. My holsters are adjustable and having my buckle in the back is more comfortable for me.

Eyesa....

There are a lot of great leather makers out there. Find one that will make it exactly like she wants, not what they think she wants or think she needs.

Holster makers can make a curve on the belt if you like: straight lined belts for men can cut into her hips. Be sure the holsters can move side to side as well, instead of staying in the same place all of the time.

I recently had Doc Noper build a gunfighter rig for me. It's built very well .. I could shoot traditional with them too. I love them! He turned them around fast too. Doc put a slight curve in my belt, angled the holsters slightly and made a slide to go in front to allow the holsters to stay in one place and and not move towards the center of my body. He can make any size slide of course. I have always liked my belt buckle in the back. Being that my holsters move any place I want them, then depending on what I wear (skirt, pants, or chinks), I can center the buckle on the back, then adjust the front slide and holsters where I want them. The holsters themself are very solid and will not collapse. This is very important for getting the pistols out quickly and reholstering them quickly,

Important piece of information: Doc Noper can put a fancy design the the belt and holsters ... and can even put a 12 ga SG loop on the back of the holster belt where she could put her lipstick. ; )

I also shoot with the Doc Noper's race ready SG belt; one of the best SG belts out there.

Hi Eyesa,

I posted a request for help on a lady shooters' forum on Facebook. I hope this will get you some more replies.

Regards,

Allie

Allie,

Thank you so much, that was quite thoughtful.

Thank you ladies for the advice on Doc Noper leather and your preferences. Ellie will have the same fun now that I had getting started :D I also use a Kirkpatrick LH rig and love it, added cartridge loops on the holsters instead of the slide.

Eyesa,

Contact Bernard Stefek at ContactUS@cowboyactionleather.com

He's an excellent craftsman and all around great guy. He does curved belts and will make you whatever you want. He made both of my rigs and a lot of other stuff as well.

I got my wife a rig from JM Leather and she loves it, its very well made. It buckles in the back and has the shotgun loops in the front.

http://jm-leather.com

Thank you everyone, we now have some fodder on which to think and decide

http://www.gibymadegunleather.com/

Sorry about the late comment, It just let me log in :) But this is where I got my leather from and he's the only one I have found that was willing to adjust my belts as I grow. So, I highly recommend him.

I have a rig from Doc Noper and I am very happy. He is always willing to get you what want. (I have the Deuce Stevens rig) I just wish it had his good juju that would make shoot like him :) Mine is pretty plain... as I'm not about the bling.

He has a page on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/Doc-Noper-Gun-Leather-150530958333442/?fref=ts

Hope you find what you want... I am on another computer but if you'd like pm me and I can email you pictures of mine.

Blue Hare

Archived