SASS Wire Forum

1873 Carbine, 19 inch .44 Magnum

Chief Rick

As far as running reliably with 44 special only the rifle will tell you. I have a Marlin in 44 Magnum that runs 44 magnum just fine but it won't cycle 44 special at all even though 44 special is engraved on the barrel...

In a 73 the cartridge length is the factor that determines whether it will run or not. If the finished cartridges are long enough they usually run fine. Same with 38 special vs 357 mag.

Blackfoot

In a 73 the cartridge length is the factor that determines whether it will run or not. If the finished cartridges are long enough they usually run fine. Same with 38 special vs 357 mag.

Blackfoot

The '73 in .44 Magnum seems to be a rather rare animal - I don't have a strong desire for the cartridge itself, but if it can hold 10 magnum length cartridges or run reliably with specials I would be tempted to pick one up for the right price.

44 Special runs just fine an the '73 action. OEM stock carrier block required no modification. The 19 inch carbine will hold 10 45 Colt or 10 44-40 and so will hold 10 44 Manglem. One serious consideration though. Loaded down for Cowboy, the case isn't going to seal the chamber and Blow-by will result.

Coffinmaker

Loaded down for Cowboy, the case isn't going to seal the chamber and Blow-by will result.

That is a concern, though not necessarily a deal breaker. Thank you for the info.

My 73 is in 44 Special .

If I need to shoot 44 mag .

I will use one of my 92s .

They are made to handel much higher preshers then the 73 .

Just saying :-)

My 73 is in 44 Special .

If I need to shoot 44 mag .

I will use one of my 92s .

They are made to handel much higher preshers then the 73 .

Just saying :-)

Prefer the Marlin '94 over Win '92 for hunting and I've only got one of them left.

The only factory load I've shot out of any of my cowboy rifles is my Win '94 .30-30.

Just looking for the best deal I can find on a >.40 caliber '73.

Prefer the Marlin '94 over Win '92 for hunting and I've only got one of them left.

The only factory load I've shot out of any of my cowboy rifles is my Win '94 .30-30.

Just looking for the best deal I can find on a >.40 caliber '73.

Thats what makes the world go round.

Everyone has there onwn taste .

I have owned a few Marlins and sold them all but one.

I Love my slicked up 92s and will never sell them .

I would take a good 92 over a good Marlin myself.

You just missed two 40 cal 73s hear on the wire last week.

One in 44/40 .

One in 44 special ( I bought this one )

Their is a few Marlin on GB right now.

I would not pass up a Steve Youngs Steves Gunz 92's in 44 mag.

Most shooters can not out run a good slick 92.

Look up Duece Stevens Rossi 92 on Youtube .

I tryed to post it but cant make the post work

My 73 in 44 magnum runs 44 specials just fine. A word of caution though, if you put a short stroke kit in I would advise against using 44 magnum medium to high powered loads. The short stroke links are not strong enough and may bend locking up the action as mine did. The links that come with the gun are really strong but I have found most short stroke links to be much weaker and subject to bending with powerful loads. Moderate 44 special loads work just fine as do light magnum loads with the short stroke links.

Blackfoot

Ditto!

Archived