SASS Wire Forum

Cell Phone Camera Question

Shawnee McGrutt

First: I do not know anything about the lens you saw at Wally World and I have never used such a lens on a phone. But I have seen reviews of these items.

It uses some kind of bracket to align its lens to the phone's lens. That means you can't use a case on your phone. I often use a phone without a case so that does not bother me.

It is crucial that the lenses be properly aligned. On a camera this problem is solved by the mounts designed by the manufacturer. On a phone, it is just how securely the lens is attached. Any looseness at all and the photos will be unreliable.

With addon lenses there is always some degradation. You didn't say what magnification is claimed by the WW item. Is 10x with the addon lens better than, say, max magnification with your phone and then a photochop? You must be the judge but I doubt it.

IMO, Wally World offers it for sale because very few people will bother to return it if they are dissatisfied.

Howdy,

I find that looking on Amazon and if they sell an item they usually have

some reviews.

Or buy it try it and take it right back if it doesn't work.

Ive done this with a few new items.

That crazy robo vacuum cleaner comes to mind.

Those need some work. They do a good job of pounding walls and

sucking up any sort of cord or wire on the floor.

Need grandmas hand painted lamp smashed to bits?

Best

CR

As Mo said, there is always degradation of the image with an added lens. Now the expensive new I-phones apparently have very nice optics so you might be okay with one of those, not great but okay. My LG phone doesn't have the greatest lens in the world. I only use the phone for unexpected pics,. If I think I'm going to need a real camera, I take one.

I've found a stand alone (I was by myself) I phone camera (i Phone 6) takes right nice photographs. His it's own "zoom." Have never considered an "After-Market" add-on gimmick that probably won't work but probably will be a pain in the Bu- neck.

OOPS: Apologies. My comments had no material impact whatsoever on the OP. I have not used, Played with or looked at one of the things. I also didn't stay at a Holliday Inn Express (that I admit)

I find my full size camera bulky and usually in the way hunting or working. I don't like banging it around.

I didn't really think they would be that great.

Sounds sort of time consuming for quick shots.

I have just a cheap smart phone, and was thinking if it got banged around with a cheap add on, no big deal.

I will just have to figure a better way to carry my camera.

I use my iPhone SE camera quite a bit on insects and flowers. It can do an excellent job on close up subjects. I have an attachment that lets it hook up with binoculars, it's fair but not wonderful. I bought the Vivitar macro and wide angle lens set at WalMart and it works ok, esp the macro. But I can't answer your question on the telephoto. I'd gamble 15 bucks on it though.

I use a Fuji Finpix S that is small and doesn't get in my way. Course, it won't fit in my pocket but I remember when cell phones weighed 6 pounds. ;)

I don't have a "smart" phone, just an old dumb flip phone. It does take picts, but can't send them anywhere. When I am hunting or fishing or anyplace that a camera might get exposed to moisture or something else that it wouldn't like, I use my underwater digital camera. It's a Pentax and smaller that most of the new smart phones out there today. Takes great picture too.

Archived