SASS Wire Forum

Has anyone here made their own cowboy/cowgirl costumes?

Buffalo Douglas

My wife loves sewing, so that's what got this project started. We bought a pattern set online for a classic styled shirt, vest, and frock coat. We just bought the materials for the vest and shirt and will probably tackle the coat once we get finished. I say we, even though it will probably be 90-95% her :D I haven't done any sewing, aside from fixing a button that had fallen off, since I had to take Home-Ec. back in highschool, so her skills are obviously much better than mine.

My question is, do any of you have a pattern for pants that you would recommend? I've thought about taking an old pair of jeans apart and then modifying them for the pattern slightly so they have suspender buttons etc., but I don't really want to give up a good pair of "workin" jeans to accomplish this. I only have so many pairs that I don't mind getting covered in grease etc., and I'm not going to cut up a pair of my "going to town" jeans. The other side of that coin is, the old jeans would make a very comfortable pants pattern, even though they wouldn't be 100% stylistically correct, which, in reality, is fine with me.

I'm also considering just buying a pair of jeans that I like specifically for CAS, and cutting off the belt loops and adding buttons. I've never found pants that ride around the waist comfortable. I've always worn my pants at the hips, even suit pants, so that is another consideration.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

If you are curious as to what things are going to look like so far, we will be making the shirt out of a deep burgundy with standard black shirt buttons. The vest will be black with a gold paisley pattern lined with burgundy satin and black and gold metal buttons. When we make the coat, I plan on making it out of a nice heavy dark-grey / charcoal wool so that it will be functional for some of the late fall / early spring shoots.

Yes, I've made many costumes.

Check out the following two companies for men's and women's patterns. http://www.lafnmoon.com/category_s/91.htm and http://www.buckaroobobbins.com/

Add the following for mostly women's. http://www.trulyvictorian.com/

The last two companies have sturdy long-reuse patterns. Laughing Moon's are tissue like the major companies, which also have historic patterns. Those are Butterick and Simplicity.

Regards,

Allie

When visiting Winter Range I visit Wild West Mercantile and shop their Bargain Corral. You can do the same online. My wife trims them to the right length and I have trousers for $24+.

I made a shirt and a duster for myself. I found the Buckaroo Bobbins pattern to be unnecessarily complicated.

Get stuff from the thrift store. Modify as needed.

Thanks for the input folks. I'll take a look at some of those other sites and see if there are any patterns that catch my eye.

As far as the thrift store, I've never had much luck there. We only have the one that deals in clothes, the rest are second hand furniture type shops. It tends to be mostly clothes for women and children. Not much of a selection for men's clothing. That combined with the fact that they throw out most of their donations makes it even harder. Real shady operation in this town. Although, being as it's a Goodwill and they make 100% profit off of their clothes, I suppose it's not a big deal to them to throw out what they don't think will sell.

When I first started in SASS, I had a look in mind. I bought a tweed vest from a clearance rack at EOT. I had a dress shirt that looked like the mattress ticking on old beds. I cut the collar off with a razor blade. I got a pair of black jeans and cut off belt loops and put suspender buttons on it. As I went along I picked up stuff from matches and thrift stores. also got used stuff of the SASS classifieds.

I had another look that I had in mind. that of a army scout. I got a leather fringe shirt and kept adding stuff to it.

instead of talking about it, I suggest you go and visit my photo page. You can see the progressions of my gear, and that of my pard Old Top. you can also see lots of our cowboy firiends and what they are wearing. use your imagination and go to toen.

my photo pages aew located at:

http://sdough.smugmug.com

keep us informed of your progress

curley

I've got to agree with Miss Allie. All the clothing patterns you find are in the costume section with the exception being those that come directly from "old west" stores.

It's always been in my nature to be a bit of a smart a... Alec :D so, direct from the shooter's handbook, and with no ill will meant:

"CLOTHING AND ACCOUTERMENTS
Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at
the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing
must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series.

SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of
our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal
feeling we encourage in our competitors.

All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be
costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies,
dances, etcetera.

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it
would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television."

Even modern day movies and TV shows have a costume department even though the cast is wearing modern clothing that you could go purchase at any store. It's not solely related to Halloween. Although, I think my SASS gear may pull double duty if I decide to go have an adult Halloween at the local pub.

Archived