SASS Wire Forum

it took someone else to change my sons mind

Trigger Mike

my son wants a shotgun. He kept asking me for a 410. knowing a 410 won't kill a squirrel as well as a 12 gauge and knowing you have to have a 12 gauge to hunt deer i kept trying to persuade him to go with 12 gauge. also because i want to save my 410 for my girls to use and have the sxs 12 gauge i used for cowboy shooting to give him. he refused to believe me and kept insisting a 410 was what he wanted.

this past Sunday i went to visit a sick deacon in our church and his wife who talks about fishing with my son so I took him along with me. While there the wife wanted to know what kind of gun he had to take care of rattlesnakes which we have a bunch around here. he mentioned he wants a 410, the deacon and wife both said, "no, you don't need a 410" the deacon elaborated that the 410 won't do what he needs a gun for, especially hunting. now my son wants my best 12 gauge pump. i have one i carried as an officer that is a pump I may try him out with it to see how he does with it but keep it locked until needed each time.

A 20 gauge with a rifled barrel wouldn't be a bad compromise. Granted, you can use light loads in a 12 for squirrel, but the 20 is very accurate for deer with a rifled barrel and some of the modern loads.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2011/5/25/twenty-gauge-super-slugs/

We have four big box sports stores within 20 minutes of my house. More than half of their shotgun ammo is 12 ga, including low recoil rounds that I rarely see in other gages.

12 gauge is best all rounder. Can be loaded really light and really heavy with everything in between. My daughter loves her Handi 'youth model' single barrel.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

No appreciable difference in recoil (my view) between 20 & 12 gauge.

12 gauge shells are less expensive and more selection. The important thing with a kid and a shotgun is that you have it cut down to get the correct Length of Pull (LOP) for the kid. That's including any recoil pad you install.

Started off with a .410 at age 6.

Killed a pickup load of squirrel with a .410 when I was youngun.

Killed my first 4 deer with a .410 shootin slugs.

Using .410 on the dove field might be why I am a better than average wingshot today.

Did not "graduate" to the SxS 16 til I was 10.

Still like the little lightweight gun for rabbit when chasing beagles

Archived