SASS Wire Forum

Match vs. Reg Fed primers

Hurricane Deck 100366

Is there a significant difference? specifically in hardness. or compound makeup. We've started shooting Fed Match primers and we like 'em. I'm thinking if the match primers are like the regulars, I might try a lighter set of springs in on set of vaqueros again.

According to Federal, they are the same, except that quality control is held to tighter standards on their match primers. Other than that, there is no difference in either primer. Both primers are quite soft.

I personally have used both, and cannot tell any difference in either of them. I run 17 lb. hammer springs, and 30 oz. Trigger Return Springs in all 3 sets of Rugers I own.

RBK

I found a couple of thousand during the primer shortage -- couldn't tell any difference in my rifles.

--Dawg

If I remember right Federal explained it as experienced employee does the match while newer employee does the regular, otherwise they are the same. I have never noticed any difference as both are good and the preferred primer by me. Even in box stock bench rest I have noted no difference. Perhaps if I moved up to an open bench rest rifle then maybe.

I have always heard there is no functional difference, just better quality control. I've found the standard Federal primers to be very reliable.

I always look at my primers in the flip tray before loading my pickup tubes, a missing anvil or missing/low amount of priming compound should be easy to spot.

When the Federal SP primers again became available at a reasonable price I decided to "stock up". My source had Match Grade primers at the same price as regular and they were out of regular so my "stock up" atch is the Match primers. I see no dufference between the two.

Bench Rest shooters will also tell you there is a difference in group size, depending on how you hold your tongue as you pull the trigger :D

+1

:-)

Archived