SASS Wire Forum

Question on revolver duds?

Dapper Dynamite Dick

During the practice match at Winter Range this year I had a dud cartridge in one of my revolvers. I went through the cylinder, cocking and clicking through all 6 chambers before placing the pistol down and carrying on with the stage. The pistol was eventually moved to the unloading table and it was discovered that the primer had been struck with enough force to fire the cartridge had the primer not been faulty.

Now my question, during a match it only makes sense to lay the pistol down, and take the miss after you go through all 6 chambers again. What if you are going for a clean match, and at that point time is not important. Can you load another round off your belt, into your revolver, to make up the misfired cartridge? Most of us at one time or another have accidently ejected a live round out of our rifles and we are allowed to load a round off our belts when that happens.

Time consuming, but if you're going for a clean match, time don't matter.

Irish Tom.

As long as the stage directions don't forbid it, you're good to go.

I think I would ask the shooter to hand off the SAA after the shot loaded at the line was fired.

You still have an unexpended round in an un-holstered firearm.

Anybody else have a thought on this?

Yes, but how do you know you didn't get a bullet stuck in the barrel (lotsa folks can't hear the difference between a primer hit without ignition, and a primer ignition but no powder, and a primer ignition and not enough powder to have bullet clear barrel, when running at match speed).?

Better if you practice shooting the WORKING revolver empty, and load your reload(s) in the working revolver. "Ground" the non-working gun. That way, the TO will never tell you to ground the squibbed gun because he thinks you (might) have a stuck bullet in barrel, perhaps even AFTER you have taken the time to stuff your reload in it!

Good luck, GJ

During the practice match at Winter Range this year I had a dud cartridge in one of my revolvers. I went through the cylinder, cocking and clicking through all 6 chambers before placing the pistol down and carrying on with the stage. The pistol was eventually moved to the unloading table and it was discovered that the primer had been struck with enough force to fire the cartridge had the primer not been faulty.

Now my question, during a match it only makes sense to lay the pistol down, and take the miss after you go through all 6 chambers again. What if you are going for a clean match, and at that point time is not important. Can you load another round off your belt, into your revolver, to make up the misfired cartridge? Most of us at one time or another have accidently ejected a live round out of our rifles and we are allowed to load a round off our belts when that happens.

Yes you can load one on the clock, in fact you can reload the whole gun on the clock if you want.

Yes, but how do you know you didn't get a bullet stuck in the barrel (lotsa folks can't hear the difference between a primer hit without ignition, and a primer ignition but no powder, and a primer ignition and not enough powder to have bullet clear barrel, when running at match speed).?

Better if you practice shooting the WORKING revolver empty, and load your reload(s) in the working revolver. "Ground" the non-working gun. That way, the TO will never tell you to ground the squibbed gun because he thinks you (might) have a stuck bullet in barrel, perhaps even AFTER you have taken the time to stuff your reload in it!

Good luck, GJ

If TO tells you to ground a gun with a suspected stuck bullet in it, and it isn't, then ya get a reshoot.

I, as a TO will instruct the shooter to ground any suspected gun (my opinion) with stuck bullet and will gladly offer a reshoot if not... Sad that so many TO's will say nothing and compromise safety.

If TO tells you to ground a gun with a suspected stuck bullet in it, and it isn't, then ya get a reshoot.

I, as a TO will instruct the shooter to ground any suspected gun (my opinion) with stuck bullet and will gladly offer a reshoot if not... Sad that so many TO's will say nothing and compromise safety.

Yes you do. But you don't get any of your clock time back if you spend time stuffing reload(s) into a revolver that DOES have a squib stuck in it, and THEN he tells you to ground it.

So, save yourself the time - don't reload into a suspect revolver!

Good luck, GJ

I completely agree with Garrison Joe! If you can ground your suspect gun and pull your holstered empty gun, why would you chance reloading a suspect gun? I have never given this problem much thought, but purley out of safety reasons, this would be the way to go.

Good answer Joe.

I put on a side match, at our local club

It was a pistol reload

Load one round, I would start the timer

Whenever the shooter was ready he or she would fire, the time would record shot one and your reload is your split time

It was a lot of fun. 30 some shooters

We all figured out how slow a pistol reload is with out lots and lots of practice

Billy the Avenger

Archived