SASS Wire Forum

Older steel targets are bowed

Chancy Shot, SASS #67163

At my club we have older steel targets that are bowed. I have made the rash assumption that it is caused by bullet strikes bending the target over a long lifetime. There was an attempt to straighten them a couple of years ago to no avail. These are just steel shapes with a hole for hanging. I have two questions.

If side A is shot all the time, will it cause side A to be concave or convex?

If side A is shot all the time, can the plate be corrected by always shooting side B for a while?

Thanks in advance,

Chancy

I'm of the opinion that reversing them will help over time. This result seems to happen on thin steel, regardless of hardness. I have heard others speak that reversing them from time to time, prevents the bowing, so I think turning them over will eventually help correct your problem.

Some with more experience will chime in here with proven answers, I'm sure.

RBK

At my range at home I shoot 1/4inch diamond plate and just turn them around, never had any troubles.

Good Luck

Renegade

At my club we have older steel targets that are bowed. I have made the rash assumption that it is caused by bullet strikes bending the target over a long lifetime. There was an attempt to straighten them a couple of years ago to no avail. These are just steel shapes with a hole for hanging. I have two questions.

If side A is shot all the time, will it cause side A to be concave or convex?

If side A is shot all the time, can the plate be corrected by always shooting side B for a while?

Thanks in advance,

Chancy

There should be a machine shop around there somewhere who can flatten them for you for a reasonable charge.

Curved or pocked steel is a hazard, and can cause all kinds of mischief!

SC

Reversing them will definitely help, especially if you get to it before they bow too much.

As Gold Canyon said, if you wait,until the bow is prominent, the target will send back lead to the firing line when you turn it around...

To answer one of your questions, the side that the bullet strikes will be concave.

A Quote from Arntzen Targets. ( all steel will warp when you shoot it, the softer A 36 will cave in or become concave, the harder steels will become,

Convex because you are stretching the surface when you hit it. )

Archived