SASS Wire Forum

1917/New Service - Caliber change

I have one in .45LC, but would like to change to either .357 or .44 special/.44-40, as I ahave a source for brand new .357 cylinders, butying one now and one on 11/15 for the source. Problem is getting barrels! Missed out on a .44 special for 250 in EBay a few months ago before I found the cylinders. And I have always wanted a .357 and this looks affordable change if I can find a barrel that fits, and would like to stay at 6", but would consider 4". If any of you out there have some 1917/New Service barrels and would like to sell them to me for a reasonable price, I would love to hear from you. Alos if one of the other Colt model barrels would fit the New Service frame, I would not be opposed to putting one of those on as well. Open to any option. If I find the .44/.44-40 barrel then I will be looking for a smith who can drill out the chambers to convert from .357 to either the .44 or the .44-40. Look forward to any response. Thanks in advance.

Nimble Fingers

If it's in .45 Colt, it's not a model 1917.

It's either an M1909 if military, or a New Service, if a civilian market gun.

The M1909 was our official side arm from 1909 to 1911 when it was replaced by something else.

These guns are much less common than the 1917's which were made in .45 ACP. You have yourself a very nice and somewhat rare old Colt. Especially if it's a 1909.

It is of course yours to do wiith as you see fit, but I would strongly recommend against your modification. You'd be destroying history.

Please don't alter a nice, old antique piece. There are readily available revolvers in both .357 and .44 special, if you look around a little. This is like "customizing" a military Mauser or 1903 Springfield to make it a deer rifle. Don't do it. You aren't Skeeter Skelton.

I have a 1977 made S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman that I had Trapper Guns rebarrel to .44 spl and magna-port. Probably 50 rounds thru it. I'd probably trade that straight up for a good condition New Service .45 Colt....... just saying.

Good luck, GJ

Nimble Fingers, it's your gun, not theirs. If converting it makes you happy, go for it.

And if he removes the barrel and cylinder, and replaces them with OTHERS, he has not "ruined" anything. The original pieces can be put back on. No harm, no foul.

Archived