SASS Wire Forum

need help identifying revolver

red dead

I was given a British bulldog revolver in near mint condition it has no proof marks nor caliber markings. All it says on the top strap is (British bulldog) it also has no serial number visual studio i removed the grip and there it was serial#(9xxx) i don't have any picture's to put up but I'll take some later. It's also chambered in 44 cal but don't know the specifics

How in the world is anyone going to help identify the gun without knowing what it looks like? As an FYI there were lots of "British Bulldog" revolvers made by lots of manufacturers from several countries. They range in quality from excellent to junk. Post a picture.

Black powder ONLY if you decide to shoot that revolver. And that is not mint condition. Mint means "as new"' no matter how old it is.

It seems that "British Bulldog" reffers to the type of ammo or some "commercial" appeal, the style of the pistol is not the British Bulldog's style, much more like a low price "Suicide Special" American made revolver

Just offhand, not being anywhere near my sources of infornation, just going by its looks and my vague memory, I'd say POSSIBLY an H&R.

About 3-4 years ago there was an article on BBs in the Gun Digest. Might ID thisone from that; if you don't get the GDs, probably one of your buds does.

I know less than many others on this topic....so here goes...

The rounded grip top (where it meets the grip frame) looks like an Iver Johnson. IJ made an American Bulldog that looks something like this revolver.

The British Bulldog made in England has a grip top with two sharp angles.

My guess is an IJ made for a Canadian distributor.

I would also look for markings under the grips and on the cylinder.

European-made guns typically (not always) have proofmarks required by their local monarchs.

Cool gun. It might have a great story to tell.

Closest I can find is an Ivar Johnson British Bulldog in 44 cal.

It has same grip and checkering.

It has same Shape frame.

It has same knurled cylinder pin.

Gun Auction

Winning bid was $127.00

There are several photos and I compared the left side view against yours.

Ok got it not very familiar with this type of weapon i got some fffg powder what shells or bullet types do i need? I know cut down 44 mag shells fit it

These things used some pretty odd calibers. Before you can determine what bullet you need you should probably slug the bore. Also, are the chambers bored straight through or do they have modern style chambers with throats? As far as when it was made, most likely late 1800s or early 1900s. (1890s to 1910.)

Awww i guess i will the pistol has great lock up it was broken for at least 80 plus years (what i was told) and it was an easy fix 15 minutes to fix the internals and that was all it wasn't shot much my great great grampa avoided cowboys as much as possible but every so often had to put one down that's the story my grandma told me

Hang it on the wall in a nice shadow box along with a history narritave. Make it a family heirloom.

Buy your self a Rock Island Armory 38 revolver. Less than $300 brand new. Excellent trigger right out of the box. Yoiu will have a reliable revolver for conceled carry or whatever.

Archived