SASS Wire Forum

leaky shotshell press

Lunger

Have a mec jr that occasionally leaks a little shot through the drop tube as I'm running it. Making great ammo, and the crimp is excellent. Just want to quit having a mess everytime I use it. Any thoughts?

Have you ever cleaned the inside of the tube? Mine does it occasionally too. The shot sticks to the inside of the tube when it gets dirty. I clean it with a small bottle brush.

No, I sure haven't. Just bought it used, changed the charge bar and powder bushing. Had some trouble adjusting the crimp, but that was mostly a wad problem. I'll clean that tube in the morning. That's a good idea! Running 7.5 shot, not sure that would matter though.

When I started reloading with reclaimed lead on a MEC Sizemaster, the dropped charge of lead would "bridge" all too often resulting in a mess when the drop tube withdrew from the hull

My cure might solve your problem.

After the wad is fully seated raise the handle to just short of parallel, then drop the shot charge. No "bridging".

AR

Appears the problem is under the charge bar. I tilted the shot and powder bottles back, and noticed a couple of brass washers, one was bent and distorted looking. Wondering if that's something a guy could replace? I actually saw some shot trickle out of that area when I tilted the bottles back.

Those brass washers turned out to be one distorted washer. Anyway, I pulled it out, and it's now running like some high dollar outfit, and the leaking quit! Nice having ammo that doesn't kick the daylights out of us. The crimp looks excellent on them too! Best 65 dollars i've ever spent!

That's great to hear, big sage! Love mine! Are they easy to get parts for?

Mec is very good to deal with. Any time I have called them they have been very helpful and parts get sent out very quickly

They use to send parts out and just have ya send a check but to many thieves and they now get payment at the time of ordering.

So If you did not get a manual and parts list with it you can down load one on there sight.

Just loaded 30 rounds without that brass washer, and haven't leaked a single piece of shot. Hoping its solved, but it was awful before. Lol! Exited to go to the nw regionals in a few days! They may take some more shooters yet? Fun place, and good stages!

Archived