SASS Wire Forum

They Shot Back

Subdeacon Joe

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/07/21/sources-navy-officer-marine-shot-chattanooga-gunman/30426817/

A Navy officer and a Marine fired their sidearms hoping to kill or subdue the gunman who murdered five service members last week in Chattanooga, Tennessee, according to multiple military officials familiar with internal reporting on the tragedy.

It remains unclear whether either hit Muhammad Abdulazeez, who was shot and killed Thursday after he gunned down four Marines and a sailor at the Navy Operational Support Center in Chattanooga. It's also unclear why they were armed, as it is against Defense Department policy for anyone other than military police or law enforcement to carry weapons on federal property.

A report was distributed among senior Navy leaders during the shooting's aftermath saying Lt. Cmdr. Timothy White, the support center's commanding officer, used his personal firearm to engage Abdulazeez, Navy Times has confirmed with four separate sources. A Navy official also confirmed Monday's Washington Post report indicating one of the slain Marines may have been carrying a 9mm Glock and possibly returned fire on the gunman.

Privately owned firearms.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/marine-in-chattanooga-shooting-might-have-been-armed-officials-say/2015/07/20/1787a027-bbc4-429b-a8cc-9730d73b96a4_story.html

They ran a story on the local gossip (news) channel last night about civilians patrolling

the recruiting office here in Western Washington. They were armed for the most part

with black rifles and slab side arms. Interviews with the locals seem to be favorable

to the watchmen. I am not certain that this is the answer, but if the sight of armed

individuals will deter even one shooting, I say GO FOR IT.

Seems to me that these shooters pick targets that are soft and where they can get

the most news coverage. I am also convinced in my own mind that not all of them

are mentally deranged individual, but rather just plain EVIL individual. I am not certain

that our courts can distinguish between the two issues. One thing is for certain, where

there seems to be a chance that someone will shoot back, they seem to prefer not to

exhibit their evil plans. Shooting children in a school or unarmed people in a theater is

not something that a person a moral standard would do. IMHO.

They ran a story on the local gossip (news) channel last night about civilians patrolling

the recruiting office here in Western Washington. They were armed for the most part

with black rifles and slab side arms. Interviews with the locals seem to be favorable

to the watchmen. I am not certain that this is the answer, but if the sight of armed

Seems to me that these shooters pick targets that are soft and where they can get

are mentally deranged individual, but rather just plain EVIL individual. I am not certain

that our courts can distinguish between the two issues. One thing is for certain, where

there seems to be a chance that someone will shoot back, they seem to prefer not to

exhibit their evil plans. Shooting children in a school or unarmed people in a theater is

I think it is at least as much a political statement as actually guarding.

You, I think, are spot on when you say "not all of them are mentally deranged individual, but rather just plain EVIL individual."

I hope it embarrasses the DOD into taking positive and assertive corrective steps, rather than, "Don't wear your uniform"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/us/chattanooga-tennessee-shooting-investigation-mohammod-abdulazeez.html?partner=socialflow&smid=tw-nytnational&_r=1

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — Marines and sailors risked their lives for one another in Chattanooga last week, trying to distract the gunman who assaulted a naval center, helping people scale a fence for safety and returning fire at the attacker, law enforcement officials said on Wednesday.

Some of the five servicemen who were fatally wounded effectively sacrificed themselves during the assault on Thursday, diverting the gunman away from a larger group of potential victims, according to a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation into the killings.

“This could have been a lot worse,” said the official, who did not want to be identified because he was not authorized to discuss the investigation. “It could have been a horrible, horrible massacre — so much worse.”

At a news conference here, the F.B.I. confirmed that at least one service member shot at the attacker, but did not say whether he managed to wound the gunman, Mohammod Abdulazeez, who was killed minutes later in a shootout with the Chattanooga police.

“A service member from inside the facility observed him and opened fire on him, firing several rounds at him,” said Edward W. Reinhold, the special agent in charge of the F.B.I.’s Knoxville office. Two guns belonging to service members were recovered from the scene, he said, and “at least one of those weapons had been discharged.”

Archived