SASS Wire Forum

The truth about DOD Directives 5210.56 and 5210.66

Sedalia Dave

Seem that some of the folks here in the Saloon are buying the media hype rather than thinking for themselves so here is some light reading so that they can make informed decisions and not blindly follow the news media conserative, liberal or otherwise.

So have a drink on me and educate yourselves.

DOD Directive 5210.56

Current Version dated 01 April 2011
Use of Deadly Force and the Carrying of Firearms by DoD Personnel Engaged in Law Enforcement and Security Duties.

History as far as I could track it.

25 February 1992 version signed by Donald J Atwood, Deputy Secretary of Defense
Supersedes May 10 1969 Version
This version Rescinds and replaces DOD directive 5210.66 17 March 1986

01 November 2001 version signed Paul Wolfowitz, Deputy Secretary of Defense

01 April 2011 version signed by William J Lynn III, Deputy Secretary of Defense.
Reinstates DoD directive 5210.66

I cannot locate a public link to 5210.66 but will email a scanned PDF to anyone that wants one.

DOD Directive 5210.66

Current version dated 17 March 1986
Carrying of Firearms by DOD Personnel
Superceeds May 31 1979 Version
Actual signature is William H. Taft, IV Depity Secretary of Defense

Rescinded and replaced by DOD directive 5210.66 17 March 1986

Reinstated 01 April 2011 by DoD directive 5210.66

Details when DOD civilians and military personnel may be authorized to carry firearms.

Specifically states that it "does not apply to Armed Forces personnel performing operational or training missions or to personnel in a combat zone or hostile fire area."

" It is DoD policy to limit and control the carrying of firearms by DoD personnel. An authorization to carry firearms may be issued only when there is a reasonable expectation that life or property will be jeopardized if firearms are not carried. Evaluation of the necessity to carry a firearm shall be made considering this expectation and the possible consequences of accidental or indiscriminate use of a firearm."

So there you have it. Bush never signed it, Clinton never signed it, To the best of my research no President has ever signed it.

Most important of all the news media on both sides is cherry picking facts as they see fit. Which shouldn't be a suprise to any of us.

United States Deputy Secretary of Defense

As a matter of long standing US policy, Armed Forces personnel are not armed while on US soil unless engaged in a specific military exercise. This is part of the checks and balances our form of government has to make the possibility of a military coup highly unlikely. This is also why we have a National Guard and a Coast Guard, to facilitate an armed military presence on US soil when required.

Note that each National Guard unit answers to its home state as well as the DoD. The Coast Guard falls under the Homeland Security (Before that it was the Department of Transportation) unless we are at war. This has only happened twice (WWI and WWII) The Coast Guards primarty duties are Maritime Law Enforcement and Maritime SAR.

United States Coast Guard

National Guard of the United States

Seem that some of the folks here in the Saloon are buying the media hype rather than thinking for themselves so here is some light reading so that they can make informed decisions and not blindly follow the news media conserative, liberal or otherwise.

Most important of all the news media on both sides is cherry picking facts as they see fit. Which shouldn't be a suprise to any of us.......................

:D Thanks.

Alas, people will believe anything they see on the freakin Internet.

The truth is out there. Ya just have to do some work folks.

Now, lets talk about Jade Helm. :D :D

:D Thanks.

Alas, people will believe anything they see on the freakin Internet.

The truth is out there. Ya just have to do some work folks.

Now, lets talk about Jade Helm. :D :D

You should write a book and call it

CRAZY BOB'S BIG BOOK OF CONSPIRACIES

PROLOGUE BY JESSE VENTURA

Looks like I got the wrong link. I can access the directive via my IHS standards portal at work but I cannot find a pubilc copy.

I will email a PDF of DoD 5210.66 to anyone that wants it.

Archived