SASS Wire Forum

National Anthem

Subdeacon Joe

A friend of mine on Facebook made the suggestion to post our favorite version of our National Anthem on our FB pages.

I posted two, a vocal and an instrumental. The vocal

because it is, in my opinion, the cleanest version of it I've ever heard. No grandstanding, no 10 octave jump on the 2nd syllable of "free" just straight through.

The instrumental

a very moving tribute from our mother country on one very tragic day. Again, a very clean, simple, and elegant rendition.

So...

Shall we do the same here? Post our favorite versions?

This is my admittedly biased favorite version. My 1984 high school choir performing it. My daughters had it transferred from a 20+ year old cassette to CD, and thence to computer, so the quality isn't great, but still not too bad. Oh, and I've always liked hearing a soprano jump a half or whole octave, when it is done well. I did up the video some months back.

http://vid238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/DocWard_album/Star%20Spangled%20Banner.mp4

This is my admittedly biased favorite version. My 1984 high school choir performing it. My daughters had it transferred from a 20+ year old cassette to CD, and thence to computer, so the quality isn't great, but still not too bad. Oh, and I've always liked hearing a soprano jump a half or whole octave, when it is done well. I did up the video some months back.

http://vid238.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/DocWard_album/Star%20Spangled%20Banner.mp4

Hmmm.....

I may have a new vocal favorite!

Again, a very clean rendition, the whole working to make a pleasing unity. Just enough ornamentation to make it interesting, but not overblown.

'Oh, and I've always liked hearing a soprano jump a half or whole octave, when it is done well."

I agree. I think I've heard it maybe 3 times. But too many, especially at sporting events, try to make it the focal point. And now, for some reason, people are expected to applaud at that point rather than waiting for the end of the Anthem.

That was moving.

Hmmm.....

I may have a new vocal favorite!

Again, a very clean rendition, the whole working to make a pleasing unity. Just enough ornamentation to make it interesting, but not overblown.

'Oh, and I've always liked hearing a soprano jump a half or whole octave, when it is done well."

I agree. I think I've heard it maybe 3 times. But too many, especially at sporting events, try to make it the focal point. And now, for some reason, people are expected to applaud at that point rather than waiting for the end of the Anthem.

I'm glad you both enjoyed. I'm always a bit nervous about sharing things I've done, but I've always thought we didn't do too badly for sixty-some odd high school kids from the bad part of town. We worked incredibly hard, and we had a very good, very intense and passionate choir director.

All too often, I've heard the soprano either slide a little up to pitch, not hitting it cleanly, or actually be sharp. Because she was a senior, and more importantly, because could do it, my daughter was to go up a full octave at her graduation. Unfortunately, another soprano didn't get the memo (actually I think she just thought she could) and tried to follow suit a couple of beats behind, and was noticeably flat. It made it quite painful. I also agree that it is annoying when people applaud at that point.

Nicely Done. America! :FlagAm:

I found the British version interesting. I kept thinking about Ft. McHenry and the bombs and all,

and Lexington and Concord, the long hard struggle and costly battles, and then Lend Lease.

Things have a strange way of playing out sometimes. Apparently some of the ladies in the audience were emotionally involved in the music.

Archived