SASS Wire Forum

loading BP or sub in 12g Magtech brass hulls

Hoss

I've got the hulls primers, and some Circle Fly cards and wads coming from Track of the Wolf. But I could use some loading hints. (Please PM specific loads to Keep Allie Mo happy) going to use 777 because I have some on hand, may try APP if/when I gets some, and may even try some of the holy black one of these days.

From what I've read, powder, overpowder card, 1/2 fiber wad, shot, overshot card and glue. should I use two 1/2" fiber wads? Should I put a wad over the shot as well? Will Elmers glue work? I guess same amout of powder as shot (by volume?) I'm hoping to use these in my 87. I've cycles the empty hulls thru, they seem to work OK.

If these are new hulls, you will want to clean and scuff up the inside a little bit where the glue will go. Glue won't want to stick to brand new hulls very well if you don't. After the first time it is no problem. I found carpenters glue to work the best.

After the first time it is no problem. I found carpenters glue to work the best.

Hot Glue - fast drying and bonds well to the brass

I went through this exercise about two months ago for a 137 year old Remington sxs.

Ignition was much better with magnum primers than WLPs and tight compression of the powder.

I use wood glue on a foam overshot wad made by pushing high density 1/2" foam over the case mouth, seatin this wad with a 3/4" dowel and adding enough wood glue to completely cover the foam. It may not be textbook, but the rounds fired well, the case interiors were clean and the process is easy and cheap.

I started loading APP in Magtech hulls a couple of seasons ago. Got started b asking lots of questions over on CAS City. Thank you, Lefty!!

I have also found a bit better ignition with Mag Primers. I found a scoop that throws a load I really like, square load, powder and shot equal.

I don't worry about filling the hull to the top nor glue.

Powder, overpowder wad, cushion wad (very important), shot and three overshot cards, no glue. Leaves something like and inch of hull with nothing in it. Doesn't seem to matter, patterns well and takes down any target fair hit.

No Rocket Science.

Coffinmaker

The column I use brings it to with in 1/8" of the mouth rim. An OSC is installed, then I fill the void with Elmers Glue. I dome the glue with the rim mouth, as the glue dries hard it concaves in the mouth. I also use a short plastic wad for the shot package, not compressed. The wad is placed on top of a 1/2" cushion with the OPC under. A proper amount of Goex 3F (3.1cc dipper) resides in the bottom of the case.

I hand load with the case mouth slightly rolled. When the Elmers is hard it seals case totally .

Archived