SASS Wire Forum

Drop tube

Nota John, SASS #51089L

Yep. You got it. However, the "drop tube" is primarily intended for large capacity rifle cases. 45-70, 45-90, 45-110. It's not real practical for pistol cases.

Coffinmaker

Yes

The drop tube allows the powder to pack more consistently in the case. This contributes to more precision accuracy. The drop tube also allows a little bit more powder into the case, because of the way gravity packs in the powder.

And I agree, a drop tube is not necessary for Main Match ammo. Just don't need that kind of accuracy. Long range precision shooting with big calibers is a different story. There the drop tube really helps.

A basic rule of black powder loading is no air gap between the powder and base of bullet.

In small cases that is accomplished with 1/8" compression of the powder column when seating the bullet.

In larger cases the 1/8" compression might disappear due to vibration or movements after the bullet is seated and before the cartridge is fired.

By dropping the powder in my 45-70 cases, I use a 48" drop tube, the likelihood of additional reduction of the powder column due to vibration, etc., is eliminated.

AR

In talking to the long range shooters, one of them said that alot settle/pack the powder with a vibrator nowadays.

--Dawg

The drop tube allows the powder to pack more consistently uniformly in the case. This contributes to more precision accuracy ignition.

I am getting my RL 550B set up. I'm cleaning brass, at this time, all .45 Colt.

But if I were to get a bug to load some .45-70s at some time in BP for that "Push" rather than the sharp crack of smokeless... :) ...I'm wondering how well my 550B would do with it? Given that I'd put in a new set of dyes.

In BP loads, you don't measure the weight of the powder? You just fill to the base of the bullet?

I am getting my RL 550B set up. I'm cleaning brass, at this time, all .45 Colt.

But if I were to get a bug to load some .45-70s at some time in BP for that "Push" rather than the sharp crack of smokeless... :) ...I'm wondering how well my 550B would do with it? Given that I'd put in a new set of dyes.

In BP loads, you don't measure the weight of the powder? You just fill to the base of the bullet?

While everyone is going to say Dillon doesn't recommend loading BP on their press, I have heard of a bunch of people doing it though...I myself haven't tried. I also don't know exactly how to measure 1/8th compression as the BP loads i have done have been with a lee dipper. I fill the case to a point where I think it will compress the powder enough. I have loaded em up too much and deformed bullets too, so I reduced a bit and know it is compressing, but not deforming the bullet. I will have to let you know when I do it on my 550 because that may be happening in a week or so.

Archived