SASS Wire Forum

Pinnnng! Updated with pics!

Utah Bob #35998

Bob,

I've never owned a M1 Garand until yesterday. Got a Springfield from 1944. CMP gun.

Horace

Good for you. My original Garand was from Woolworths. Those days are gone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got an email yesterday from the CMP saying my order had been received a little over a month after I sent it. It hasn't been processed yet or anything crazy like that, they haven't even cashed the check. But it's been received.

Normally I order stuff and have the ability to forget about it until it comes in unless it's a part i need right now.

But I am unable to forget the M1.

Dangit.

Yes, I know the feeling. I could hardly wait for my virtual one.

Hope you get a good one. I understand that they are working hard to

get the orders out. Don't know what kind of backup they have tho.

Normally I order stuff and have the ability to forget about it until it comes in unless it's a part i need right now.

But I am unable to forget the M1.

Dangit.

I know how you feel. The status emails I got from them just fanned the flames.

I shot mine in Service Rifle Competition for several years and mentioned before that it is wearing it's fourth barrel. I was at the range todat shooting my AR out to 250 yards and kept thinking how I wished I had brought my M-1. Plastic guns ain't got no soul.

Plastic guns are4 tools.

M1s are art.

Hey UB I heard that the CMP received a large shipment or that a shipment has been authorized something along the lines of 80,000-90,000 M1 Garands. Have you heard anything about that? I was talking to the President of the 6th Cav reenacting group when he told me about it. I've been trying to verify what he said but I haven't found anything yet.

Hey UB I heard that the CMP received a large shipment or that a shipment has been authorized something along the lines of 80,000-90,000 M1 Garands. Have you heard anything about that? I was talking to the President of the 6th Cav reenacting group when he told me about it. I've been trying to verify what he said but I haven't found anything yet.

Have you checked on the CMP Forum? If anybody would know, they would.

I wonder if that guy was thinking of this story:

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/u-s-to-import-87310-m1-garand-rifles-from-korea.html

A few years ago they were trying to import a boatload of M1s back from Korea but the current administration in Washington nixed it.

Have you checked on the CMP Forum? If anybody would know, they would.

I wonder if that guy was thinking of this story:

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/u-s-to-import-87310-m1-garand-rifles-from-korea.html

A few years ago they were trying to import a boatload of M1s back from Korea but the current administration in Washington nixed it.

Yup... Same directive that even nixed re-importing Remington Rolling Blocks. :angry:

Ain't it good to know that someone's gonna save us from ourselves.... :wacko:

Nope. I assume that's from the rumor about the S. Korean M1s. If they are ever imported (under another administration), they will not be CMP guns but private importers. CMP gets guns from the US Govt only.They won't be as cheap as CMP guns.

Yup, it came today. It shore is pretty. I'm reading the instruction book now cause I really don't know how these things work. Can't wait to get it to the range. Now I need a bayonet. I'm not even sure this is a legitimate bayonet lug on the front. Did they have to remove them on M1s to keep it from being a nasty assault weapon?

I heard congress is trying to authorize them to sell 1911s. That would be pretty cool. Since I've done it once the next purchase will be easier.

Yup, it came today. It shore is pretty. I'm reading the instruction book now cause I really don't know how these things work. Can't wait to get it to the range. Now I need a bayonet. I'm not even sure this is a legitimate bayonet lug on the front. Did they have to remove them on M1s to keep it from being a nasty assault weapon?

I heard congress is trying to authorize them to sell 1911s. That would be pretty cool. Since I've done it once the next purchase will be easier.

It should have all the proper parts including the bayonet lug. You can get a bayonet from the CMP E-store for much better price than anywhere else. Much better.

I'm not even sure this is a legitimate bayonet lug on the front. Did they have to remove them on M1s to keep it from being a nasty assault weapon?

Don't think so. The wedbetters here in New York define an assault weapon as, among other things, being able to accept a removable magazine. The Garand doesn't use removable magazines; it uses clips.

Ramblin, be careful what you feed that darlin'.

M1s don't like some of the fodder that other .30-06s feed on.

It upsets their op rod.

But then I suppose you already knew that.

Yup. Milspec ammo only! Bad things can happen otherwise.

CMP has some good prices on greek milspec. It is non corrosive. I will not shoot corrosive ammo in my rifles. I saw what it did to barrels, while serving with my Uncle. Others will tell you it is ok, but to clean it well. Good advice if you decide to shoot the stuff.

I found that no amount of hot water and soap would clean the pitted barrel from the hated stuff. Not all GIs were dilligent about cleaning their piece after a day on the firing line.

Remember that some ammo has corrosive primers and some had corrosive powder and some had both. Be aware of what you feed it.

I had a load of cheap Korean corrosive that I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and deprimed the cases. I then reloaded the cases with the pulled bullets, new powder and primers. Be careful de-priming the cases. I let mine soak in light oil overnight before I wash them and then de-prime them.

Just trying to pass along some hard learned lessons. You may already know this stuff, but it never seems to hurt to review it. :D

Heed what them fellas said about the ammunition.

But do remember that the op rod DOES have a natural and necessary bend to it... please don't try to straighten it! :)

But do remember that the op rod DOES have a natural and necessary bend to it... please don't try to straighten it! :)

They mention that in the booklet that comes with the rifle.

They mention that in the booklet that comes with the rifle.

That's good. I read a post the other day from a guy who wanted to know how to straighten his.

That's good. I read a post the other day from a guy who wanted to know how to straighten his.

I saw a post a while back where the guy was complaining that he ordered a rod and it was bent when he got it. I don't know whether he was kidding, didn't know it was supposed to be bent, or it was bent more than it's supposed to be.

A guy at the gun show explained the ammo to me. But oddly enough, the manual is pretty clear that any ammo that says 30-06 Springfield is the recommended ammo (or if it has the military designation which I forget right now). As far as I recall, all 30-06 ammo says 'Springfield', so I'm left a little confused.

The wood is really rough to the touch and feels like it needs a good sanding. Is that normal for CMP guns?

I'll tell ya there was one thing in the manual that concerned me last night. It said that if you used commercial ammo there was a chance of accidental discharge. The reason it gave was that the primers on mil spec ammo were softer than normal, and when the bolt slams forward, it will often put a dent on the primer. With softer primers, it's not enough to set them off, but with hard primers, it might. Anyone know anything about that? Is it something I really need to worry about?

I'll tell ya there was one thing in the manual that concerned me last night. It said that if you used commercial ammo there was a chance of accidental discharge. The reason it gave was that the primers on mil spec ammo were softer than normal, and when the bolt slams forward, it will often put a dent on the primer. With softer primers, it's not enough to set them off, but with hard primers, it might. Anyone know anything about that? Is it something I really need to worry about?

http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_detail.cfm?MetallicID=2713

I'm sorry, I don't reload. That might as well have been written in japanese. The manual also mentioned a maximum bullet weight. I think the 190's they listed at the bottom may be no bueno.

Alrighty, Gambler... Now ya needs to get yerself an Arisaka~! ^_^

A 190 bullet seems a tad heavy from all that I have read. They list the M2 ammunition as 150 grains.

Some of the reloaders are using 165 and 167 grain bullets for long range matches. Unless you have

an adjustable gas cylinder plug, I would stick with .30-06 ammunition expressly loaded for the M1 in

150 grain or perhaps 165 grain if it says M1 Garand on the box. Hornady makes some and so does

Federal, if you can find it. Not sure that Federal is making ammunition any longer, just advertising that

they do.

Archived