SASS Wire Forum

Pinnnng! Updated with pics!

Utah Bob #35998

How correct you are about that. I acquired mine because I liked the feel of the thing in my hands. The number was the luck of the draw. But a lot of fellows are taken with the serial numbers, manufactures and all sorts of things that I neither knew about or cared about. All I want is that when I pull the trigger it goes bang or click. Odd thing is that I had to get on line to figure out how to field strip it, when I got it. Fifty years will remove a lot of memory cells.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It took less than two weeks to get my M1 from the CMP but that was back in 2006. What is the waiting period nowdays?

CMP Web page says SERVICE GRADE is 2 to 6 months from time of order.

FIELD GRADE is 3 to 9 months from time of order.

A friend of mine got one from the CMP last year. His took just over a year to get. I'm not sure what grade his is. Another friend got one of the sniper models. That one took almost 2 years to get from them.

One of mine is an original Springfield I picked up on a trip to Vegas one year. It came from some arsenal somewhere but the gun shop owner wasn't sure where. I left the #47 painted on the stock. The bore isn't all that good but it still shoots a 4-5 inch group at 100yards using M1 ball ammo. My other one is a composite gun made up at Century Arms International. That one has a Belgian barrel on it and it shoots tighter groups using the same ammo.

CMP Web page says SERVICE GRADE is 2 to 6 months from time of order.

FIELD GRADE is 3 to 9 months from time of order.

They seem to be running close to the 2 month delivery according to guys who have ordered recently.

In my youth, a buddy (the gunsmith at the LGS) had a nice Garand. The tinkling music made by the empties falling on a concrete slab, followed by the 'ping', was called fairy laughter.

My squad leader took his out of the armory each night and worked on the wood. In two weeks he had that thing looking like a showroom model.

Made the rest of the wood in the platoon look like step children. He got a lot of milage out of that. I would cringe when he would take it out on field duty and it got dirty but it clean up real good.

My squad leader took his out of the armory each night and worked on the wood. In two weeks he had that thing looking like a showroom model.

Made the rest of the wood in the platoon look like step children. He got a lot of milage out of that. I would cringe when he would take it out on field duty and it got dirty but it clean up real good.

You can try to polish plastic, but it just doesn't work. :D

You were, but I understand the feeling. Try going from an M-14 to a Mattel. ;)

I met a Special forces Capt in Vietnam that had come in for a briefing. He was carrying a short barrel Mattel stocked M-16.

He remains the only human I have ever been instantly afraid of. My feeling around him was that I was very close to a venomous snake. He was leading an A Team working in the Chu Chi area.

I met a Special forces Capt in Vietnam that had come in for a briefing. He was carrying a short barrel Mattel stocked M-16.

He remains the only human I have ever been instantly afraid of. My feeling around him was that I was very close to a venomous snake. He was leading an A Team working in the Chu Chi area.

That was a CAR15. Nice little carbine. I had one for a while.

You eat enough snakes and you might take on certain characteristics.

Bob; After you get your Garand, if you need new wood for it I can highly recommend the stuff from Deans Gun Restoration. It is much nicer than the new wood the CMP has.

standard.jpg

Canvas. Leather looks nice, but canvas will do the job. Asides, that is what Uncle Sam gave me to use back in the day.

Just never saw a reason to change. Canvas is lighter on a10 pound rifle. Be sure to get it on correctly, what ever you use.

Saw a video made by a home baked "expert" where he stacked arms with the rifles facing the wrong way. So much for

credibility. I guess if you don't know it is one thing, but he could have asked. At least he knew where the stacking swivel

was located. That should count for something.

Saw a video made by a home baked "expert" where he stacked arms with the rifles facing the wrong way. So much for

credibility. I guess if you don't know it is one thing, but he could have asked. At least he knew where the stacking swivel

was located. That should count for something.

Nope, no partial credit, not if I'm grading him. I've got no problem with someone being wrong - heck, I do it all the time - but when they're teaching something wrong to others, THAT'S a problem.

So how does the CMP thing work? Can anyone buy from them and how do they verify that you ain't a bad guy?

They have all the info on their website.

http://thecmp.org/

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

So how does the CMP thing work? Can anyone buy from them and how do they verify that you ain't a bad guy?

Here's their eligibility requirements:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

The usual legal requirments for being a gun owner, plus you need to be a member of a CMP affiliated club. (They're everywhere, but there are also a couple of national clubs you can join online.) You also need to show proof that you've taken part in an organized shooting activity. Many affiliate clubs hold monthly CMP shoots, which count. (You just need to attend one.) Joining the Revolutionary War Veterans Association and attending an Appleseed shoot also counts.

Bob; After you get your Garand, if you need new wood for it I can highly recommend the stuff from Deans Gun Restoration. It is much nicer than the new wood the CMP has.

standard.jpg

When I got mine it had been restocked in Greece and it felt slightly oversized, especially in the grip area. Also the wood they had used did not match the rear (top) handguard. I replaced the whole thing with a new one from the CMP. BTW, the barrel of mine says 1956 so I guess it never saw action anywhere.

Cut my teeth on M-1 rifles and carbines in 1957. Had three or four Garands and a half dozen or more carbines available over the years.

Was issued an M-14 in 'Nam and was still using them until I left the Corps in '78. Got issued M-16s a couple of weeks before I got out, but to this day I've never fired one.

Bob, you're going to have to bone up on the manual of arms. As of maybe a year and a half ago I could still perform the Queen Anne Salute flawlessly with a borrowed M-1. Like to have stopped my friend's heart when the rifle left my shoulder, did a forward 360 in the air, and was caught and brought under the right arm to stand vertical behind my shoulder. (Ain't muscle memory a wonderful thing?)

Foolish man thought I was going to drop it. :D

I got a garand last year and I'm trying to set it up so I can shoot the long range events and possibly camp perry In the year or two...getting all my loads down and checking to make sure my garand will be able to do that. its not matching, it has a Springfield Armory receiver and Winchester trigger group but boy she's pretty.. Good luck, get her set up for long range and maybe we'll see you on the trail

Cut my teeth on M-1 rifles and carbines in 1957. Had three or four Garands and a half dozen or more carbines available over the years.

Was issued an M-14 in 'Nam and was still using them until I left the Corps in '78. Got issued M-16s a couple of weeks before I got out, but to this day I've never fired one.

Bob, you're going to have to bone up on the manual of arms. As of maybe a year and a half ago I could still perform the Queen Anne Salute flawlessly with a borrowed M-1. Like to have stopped my friend's heart when the rifle left my shoulder, did a forward 360 in the air, and was caught and brought under the right arm to stand vertical behind my shoulder. (Ain't muscle memory a wonderful thing?)

Foolish man thought I was going to drop it. :D

I'm the guy that goes over the manual of arms for the geezers at the VFW post before every funeral detail. The Air Force guys are hopeless. ;)

I still have my old dog-eared Drill and Ceremonies manual.

(got a Civill War one too for the really old guys) :D

Hey, I'm an Air Force guy. Enlisted in 1966 Qualified at Amarillo AFB with an M-16 went overseas (England) and qualified twice with the M-2 Carbine. Just before they closed the base they let us burn up some ammo full auto. That was fun. Last time I qualified I did it at Lackland with the M16. I already told you about my 10 years shooting the Garand in competition.

You might find this web site interesting, Bob.

http://usriflecal30m1.com/Parts/PartsMFG.aspx?mfg=SA

Yup. The Garand Collector's Assn is also helpful for those new to the M1.

But what about close order drill, Bugs?

We are not talking about parking airplanes here. :)

;)

Slings... Whadda y'all prefer ~ leather or canvas? :)

Leather looks more cool. Canvas is more comfortable if you're carrying it for some distance.

Leather looks more cool. Canvas is more comfortable if you're carrying it for some distance.

I never used my leather sling enough to feel like I could adjust it to suit me. It felt either too tight or too loose. I just use the canvas sling.

• 1 month later...

Paperwork is in the mail to CMP!

Archived