SASS Wire Forum

Pinnnng! Updated with pics!

Utah Bob #35998

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did ya order 2 , cuase they is small ?

Don't know about small, but given how long the wait can be I'd have ordered several just to make it worth it.

Friends who have ordered recently tell me the wait is much shorter these days. Just a few weeks.

I believe the CMP is in short supply of returns. Don't think I would wait too long to order

if I was of a mind to get one. Carbines are mostly gone. Only carbines I have seen for sale are

the remakes that commercials sell, with new wood and reworks on the metal. Some have USGI

parts, some do not.

The have some carbines on their auction site. But my pocketbook is light.

The Special grade and snipers wil be around for awhile at the higher prices. But at some point, the well will be dry. :(

Sparky

ya could do that , and GIVE me one of em :lol:

Have you ever heard that saying that ends with "cold, dead fingers"? That's me and my Garand. (grin)

Seriously though, if things ever got so bad I had to sell my guns to survive, the Garand would be the second to last one to go. If things were that bad I'd keep a .22 to hunt squirrels and rabbits for food.

Friends who have ordered recently tell me the wait is much shorter these days. Just a few weeks.

I sent my check into the CMP a month ago (3/18) for a garand and they still haven't cashed it. If yours only takes a couple weeks, I'd like to know so I can obsess over why.

I fired my first M1 about 15yrs ago. A friend brought his to the range and let me give it a go. Have been wanting one ever since then but just couldn't seem to scrape up the funds. Now that I am on disability I can only dream of owning one.

I know many of the people who bought the IHCs that went on sale 3/11 have started receiving theirs. I figure anything less than 3 months is gravy.

I received a VIRTUAL Service Grade Springfield about five years ago. Serial number on the virtual receiver says it was made in the latter part of 1955 or early 1956. Just about the time frame I was looking for.

It apparently spent some time in Denmark, but when I got it, the stock looked like it had been to the war and lost. Metal parts were all in excellent shape, except for lack of parkerized finish. New VIRTUAL stock and some coating, and it looks better than I do. That ain't saying much! :o Looks like new and functions like new. What is not to like in a VIRTUAL rifle. :D

Living at the ends of the Earth, will the Post Office deliver to you?

I sooo clearly remember that day, home with the flu, when the doorbell rang...

"Drat! Now who's rattling my cage when I'm home sick?"

Two minutes later the wifely one dropped a long box on the bed... and suddenly I felt MUCH better! :P

Military rifles were all matching from the time they left the manufacturer until the first time they were turned in for service. Any GI Rifle with mixed numbers has been in the field and reworked. Who wants a rifle with no story or character? I'm a shooter and my M-1 is too. I look down my nose at any military rifle that was never used for its intended purpose.

Would you consider teaching a snot nosed 19 year old how to load and fire under duress it's intended purpose?

Or how to teach that 19 year old how to march in formation with the rifle held smartly at right shoulder arms?

And how about teaching that 19 Year old how to clean the bore and polish the metal to a high shine so it looks

good during an inspection? And then there are all those little tricks of the trade.

:)

I have decided it's high time I replace the Garand I sold years ago during lean times. If the creek don't rise and I can scrape together enough spare shekels, I'll be putting in a CMP order next month. :D

SsfEWv.jpg

UB,

For those of us not familiar with that resource, how exactly does one avail themselves of the opportunity to make such an order?

Ornery Cuss

UB,

For those of us not familiar with that resource, how exactly does one avail themselves of the opportunity to make such an order?

Ornery Cuss

CMP All the info is on their site.

I guess I don't really care all that much about the M1 Garand. I do, however, have an en bloc clip sitting before me, here at the computer, that is loaded with dummy rounds. Perhaps that is fitting. Just something to keep my fingers busy while I doze here.

Ornery, the process is a little strange. The one I ordered a month ago was my first. You have to find the gun you want on the website, then fill out a form and mail it in with payment. You also need proof that you're in an affiliated club (I don't know if SASS is one of those clubs). Frankly, it was so different that I had to call them and get someone to walk me through it.

I could wrong, have been so in the past, but I do not believe that SASS would qualify as an affiliate club.

They seem to be looking for those that sponsor military weapon type matches. One of the mandates of

the CMP is that they sell military rifles, and other military equipment.

I send them a copy of my badge from the gun range that I belong to. I am an annual member, AT my age

a lifetime membership could be shorter than than an annual membership.

The list of affiliated organizationsis long. VFW is one. And so is the Garand Collectors Assoc. http://www.thegca.org/

Most shooting organizations do, whether or not they use military firearms. SASS would probably be approved but they would have to apply. Some individual SASS clubs are approved.

The CMP's page on finding a club is here. They have a link to a search form. According to that page they also recognize special affiliates that can also count toward the club membership requirement:

They include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc., U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Finally, professional 501©3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc are included.

I know membership in the Revolutionary War Veterans Association, the people who put on the Appleseed shooting classes, also counts. You can join the RWVA online.

It is after all the Civilian MARKSMANSHIP Program.

Not the Civilian Old Surplus Guns Program. :)

Bob, you're going to have to bone up on the manual of arms. As of maybe a year and a half ago I could still perform the Queen Anne Salute flawlessly with a borrowed M-1. Like to have stopped my friend's heart when the rifle left my shoulder, did a forward 360 in the air, and was caught and brought under the right arm to stand vertical behind my shoulder. (Ain't muscle memory a wonderful thing?)

Foolish man thought I was going to drop it. :D

I still remember how to do a Queen Anne Salute, but the last time I did one was over 50 years ago. Ain't no way I'm gonna try one now! Hell I almost have to breathe deep just to get it to my shoulder.

I got a WWII sample from just about every combatant except Japan or Italy in my safe, but nothing, nothing feels like an M1!

I still remember how to do a Queen Anne Salute, but the last time I did one was over 50 years ago. Ain't no way I'm gonna try one now! Hell I almost have to breathe deep just to get it to my shoulder.

I got a WWII sample from just about every combatant except Japan or Italy in my safe, but nothing, nothing feels like an M1!

There is something inately comfortable about the way it feels. Like a SAA and a few other weapons. They were ergonomic before being ergonomic was cool.

Two minutes later the wifely one dropped a long box on the bed... and suddenly I felt MUCH better! :P

Hardpan, The day I got mine I had just been released from the hospital at 10:30 PM the night before after suffering a heart attack. I can guarantee you that that big box delivered by FedEx at 7:45 AM made me feel a hell of a lot better!

No postal delivery here. But the Fedex driver knows me well. ;)

There is something inately comfortable about the way it feels. Like a SAA and a few other weapons. They were ergonomic before being ergonomic was cool.

You are so right! The three guns I always lusted for since as long as I can remember are the P08 Luger (I am currently in my fourth one), A SAA (got two rodeos, two Colt Cowboys and an Armi San Marcos, but no Colt SAA yet) and the M1 Garand!

Like Hickock 45 is so fond of saying: Life is good!

Hey wait a minute! I'm an old gun. Surplus too, I suppose. :)

No. You're an ole geezer...with a gun.

Virtually. ;)

Archived