SASS Wire Forum

Pinnnng! Updated with pics!

Utah Bob #35998

I have decided it's high time I replace the Garand I sold years ago during lean times. If the creek don't rise and I can scrape together enough spare shekels, I'll be putting in a CMP order next month. :D

New Pics on page 7, post#248 :)

SsfEWv.jpg

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesssss~!!!!! :lol:

Git 'er done, Bob... you'll sleep better at night, food will be tastier, skies more blue, the missus prettier... well, maybe not the last one (I'm sure she's already there), but hey, the quality of life in general will be kicked up a notch or two! ^_^

UB,

There's nothing quite like the sound of that en bloc holder getting kicked out when it's spent. Record it on your cell phone and use it as your a.m. wake up call

Capt RHK

Git 'er done, Bob... you'll sleep better at night, food will be tastier, skies more blue, the missus prettier... well, maybe not the last one (I'm sure she's already there), but hey, the quality of life in general will be kicked up a notch or two! ^_^

Yep, it's all true. (Well, I can't vouch for the missus thing. If she was still around I wouldn't have been able to get the rifle.) But there's something comforting about knowing you have "the greatest battle implement ever devised" within arm's reach.

Looks like the choices have really narrowed over the years. Hope you get a good one.

The CMP inventory certainly isn't what it once was. I'II probably get a service grade as a project to work on and later maybe a special grade or a carbine. I have several bayonets that need something top perch on. And I have plenty of clips in belts and bandoliers. ;)

:blink:

DANG you UB

ya gotts me wanting stuff

AGAIN :o

CB :lol:

Then my work here is through. :)

I did my initial training on an M-1. I never felt like I was properly armed with an M-14. I shot my first round out of an M16 (AR-15) in 2012. (and was not impressed)

I did my initial training on an M-1. I never felt like I was properly armed with an M-14

You were, but I understand the feeling. Try going from an M-14 to a Mattel. ;)

The CMP inventory certainly isn't what it once was. I'II probably get a service grade as a project to work on and later maybe a special grade or a carbine. I have several bayonets that need something top perch on. And I have plenty of clips in belts and bandoliers. ;)

They ran out of carbines a while ago. No more coming, as I remember. If you don't have any ammo, or don't want to reload to M1 specs, order some of the Greek XHP ammo. It's not bad. Doesn't appear that any Lake City stuff is going to be available in future. Service grade should be good, but if you need to upgrade it with a new barrel, for example, you'll be near the price of a special grade rifle. A friend bought a collector grade, back when they still had them, and didn't have to do any work on it at all.

Love my Service Grade. Still trying to get the virtual off of it. :)

One thing I did notice is that for some reason .30 Cal ammo is not a available as it was

once. Seems everything is .223 or 5.56.

There is just something special about the M1 in hand. One thing for sure, Uncle Sugar ain't making

them any more.

Good move on your part, Utah. I am happy for you.

They ran out of carbines a while ago. No more coming, as I remember. If you don't have any ammo, or don't want to reload to M1 specs, order some of the Greek XHP ammo. It's not bad. Doesn't appear that any Lake City stuff is going to be available in future. Service grade should be good, but if you need to upgrade it with a new barrel, for example, you'll be near the price of a special grade rifle. A friend bought a collector grade, back when they still had them, and didn't have to do any work on it at all.

Nope.

Barry took care of that.

No more carbines; no more Garands; heck, no more Remington Rolling Blocks coming back from South America, even. :(

Nope.

Barry took care of that.

No more carbines; no more Garands; heck, no more Remington Rolling Blocks coming back from South America, even. :(

Barry won't be around forever.

That is the best news I have heard all day. :D

Discussion over on the CMP forum is that some of the Spam Cans of ammo have suspect cartridges

in them. I suspect that they are a little long of tooth. I have a virtual supply of pulled bullets and brass

cartridges so I guess virtually, I can do my thingy.

And everything he has done can be un-done.

Well except the damage to our reputation and respect. That'll take some time to repair.

Mine was made by GM

Mine was a Colt. Nevertheless, if it was pkastic and black, it was a Mattel. ;)

My M-1 is wearing its fourth barrel. I shot it extensively back in the 80's and 90's. Practice matches once a week, Monthly matches at the club, State service rifle championship, State High Power Championship, District Championship and Camp Perry every year for ten years. Put a lot of rounds through her wore out three barrels and still love that pop up timer that tells you when she wants to be fed.

Speaking of "ping," check out the guy in the background with the Garand at 1:43 (behind the AR shooter):

His clip wasn't latched in, and it popped out fully loaded and bounced off his head.

Har! Another tragic Garand related injury. :D

You guys keep trying to confuse me. You succeed most of the time. Watching the video

I noticed that the fellow with the black rifle, (Star of the Show) was using a yellow chamber

safety flag to release his magazine. What is that all about?

No need for me to express my feelings about the Garand here. I have done that enough in

other threads. But I still have questions about the AR platform. No, I didn't buy one. I did look

at the Ruger offering but they seem to be in short supply. Besides, I doubt that I will be doing

any jungle or street fighting in the near future, not at my age and physical condition. Besides,

all of my guns are virtual. If I had any guns, I would want to put the Garand at the top of the list. :D

You guys keep trying to confuse me. You succeed most of the time. Watching the video

I noticed that the fellow with the black rifle, (Star of the Show) was using a yellow chamber

I didn't notice it, but he's probably got a "Bullet Button," a special magazine latch that requires a pointy tool like a cartridge or a chamber flag to release the magazine. Something in California law says semi-auto rifles mustn't have magazines that detach without the use of a tool, so the Bullet Button was invented to help make AR pattern rifles comply with the law.

No need for me to express my feelings about the Garand here. I have done that enough in

other threads. But I still have questions about the AR platform. No, I didn't buy one. I did look

at the Ruger offering but they seem to be in short supply. Besides, I doubt that I will be doing

any jungle or street fighting in the near future, not at my age and physical condition. Besides,

all of my guns are virtual. If I had any guns, I would want to put the Garand at the top of the list. :D

The mag release is a California thing. :angry:

As far as jungle fighting, the AR was invented before we got into that. I don't have any jungles around here. I do have prairie dawgs, coyotes and paper targets though. ;)

I have 2 virtual Garand's and a Winchester built M1 Carbine. The Carbine when my Uncle bought it back in the 50 through the NRA cost him $50. It was an un-issued rifle still packed in the cosmoline and wrapped in the factory paper. It's had a total of 20 rounds through it.

I think we are all interested in what you receive from CMP, Bob. I know that I am.

According to the serial number on my virtual model, it (Receiver) was produced by Springfield Armory in late 1955 or early 1956.

That fits right in to the time frame that Uncle Sam let me play with one of his Garands. Of course, as a straight leg infantry grunt,

I was issued one that had been to the rodeo and came in second. It was service grade but had a very rough bore. In spite of my

pleas with the armorer and countless hours scrubbing the barrel with cleaners and bore brushes, it never changed. It probably kept me out of trouble tho, because I spent more time on post over the week end than drinking beer in the joints in Manhattan, Kansas.

The virtual model that I have now, looks pristine. The barrel shines like a polished piece of silver. I replaced the wood and had new parkerizing on the metal. So, it is not 100% GI, but then again, neither am I. It still eats .30 Cal and has a voice of authority.

I think we are all interested in what you receive from CMP, Bob. I know that I am.

According to the serial number on my virtual model, it (Receiver) was produced by Springfield Armory in late 1955 or early 1956.

That fits right in to the time frame that Uncle Sam let me play with one of his Garands. Of course, as a straight leg infantry grunt,

I was issued one that had been to the rodeo and came in second. It was service grade but had a very rough bore. In spite of my

pleas with the armorer and countless hours scrubbing the barrel with cleaners and bore brushes, it never changed. It probably kept me out of trouble tho, because I spent more time on post over the week end than drinking beer in the joints in Manhattan, Kansas.

The virtual model that I have now, looks pristine. The barrel shines like a polished piece of silver. I replaced the wood and had new parkerizing on the metal. So, it is not 100% GI, but then again, neither am I. It still eats .30 Cal and has a voice of authority.

I've found some Garand guys are really obsessed with all matching, all original, all GI, metal and wood. Theymlook down their noses at anything less than pristine.

I am not a museum though. ;)

Archived