SASS Wire Forum

FS true Doc Holliday 2 gun style rig custom made. More Pics.

Irontree

Made by Karla Van Horn at Purdy Gear. The finest "Doc Holliday" style rig I have ever seen. Set for 2 Cimarron LIghtning pistols w/ 3&1/2 barrels.

It is comfortable and made by one of the best in the business. Roughly mahogany in color, It is matching tooled in belt,suspenders and holsters.

belt will out 36 to 42inches and chest can go from low 40's to low 50's. Super fine rig, all you'll need is a waxed mustachio and a pencil rolled black Stetson.

I paid Karla around $900 for it but will sadly let it go for $575 shipped in the 48. Not opposed to reasonable offers or trades. PM for more pics if needed.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1366/13662156/24622802/410822194.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1366/13662156/24622802/410830361.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1366/13662156/24622802/410830360.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1366/13662156/24622802/410830359.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1366/13662156/24622802/410830357.jpg

Is this rig SASS legal? I've never seen one before. It's certainly really nice looking.

So long as you wear one pistol on each side of your belly button, seperated by the width of at least two fists. This fine rig would be welcomed at any SASS sanctioned match in most categories.

If I looked at it it appeared to be a left handed rig for the strong side the shoulder is right handed as most are. If it fit 5 1/2" guns I'd be very interested but it would be hard to get my guns to work in them. And the price is way too much to buy for a pattern.

The position of the holsters is adjustable to some degree, and the cant of the shoulder holster is also adjustable.

Not sure how you can call it right handed or left handed dominant.

Unless your right hand can only reach to a shoulder holster and your left hand can only reach to a belt. But I think that would qualify as handicapped.

I've always been able to scratch my ear or my belly with either hand. I'd guess most folks could draw whichever gun they wanted to first or both at the same time.

Both at the same time works really good since they are at different levels(Val Kilmer does a good job of this in "Tombstone"), of course one at a time works better at a match with the hip turn unless you do a "Hickock" finger twist that takes the barrel from straight down to straight out.

The position of the holsters is adjustable to some degree, and the cant of the shoulder holster is also adjustable.

Just don't adjust it past 30º

Not sure how you can call it right handed or left handed dominant.

Unless your right hand can only reach to a shoulder holster and your left hand can only reach to a belt. But I think that would qualify as handicapped.

I've always been able to scratch my ear or my belly with either hand. I'd guess most folks could draw whichever gun they wanted to first or both at the same time.

Both at the same time works really good since they are at different levels(Val Kilmer does a good job of this in "Tombstone"), of course one at a time works better at a match with the hip turn unless you do a "Hickock" finger twist that takes the barrel from straight down to straight out.

Both at the same time would get the shooter a "P"...Shoulder/X-draw rigs are NOT ALLOWED in GUNFIGHTER or BW.

Just FYI...Nice setup for a NON-GF shooter, though.

410822194.jpg

the barrels would have to be in the 3&1/2 inch area. Other than that I believe they'd fit.

I'll get you some pic's on me as soon as the band usage go's down so I can send some to myself to post.

PWB, Most times (which is a round once or twice a day out here) I just walk out to the range and shoot. The Palerider range is on my North 20. No timer, nobody else, just having fun.

You can bet that's when the two hand draw comes out. Hammers don't get cocked until barrels are down range but it's smoother than you'd think.

Heck, if I wasn't reaching around this much belly it might even be fast.

I think Ol' Doc might smile on me.

the barrels would have to be in the 3&1/2 inch area. Other than that I believe they'd fit.

I'll get you some pic's on me as soon as the band usage go's down so I can send some to myself to post.

I'm going to have the barrels shortened, so that won't be an issue. But I'm not sure how well they will fit the holsters.

I'm having a difficult time visualizing exactly how this rig looks on a man, and need some more photos.

They only problem with going out to the n20 and shooting freestyle I'd you can develope bad habits. Such as spinning the revolver before holster ing is bad. I was practicing and caught myself doing that but stopped it quick because I do not ever which to do it at either table or the firing line.

.41 Colt (.403). They can be wet down and dried to hold .38's snug or you can oil and stretch to a larger cal. Bringing them down to hold .38 brass (.378) is the easiest and less time consuming. I don't know if any .44 or .45 pistol that would fit these holsters so I can't think of any reason to increase the loop size. Unless you want to have Karla make you a set to fit the rig. I'm sure she could do it.

.38's won't fall through now, but they are loose. I've taken several .38 looped belts up to .41 colt. Neet's foot oil and a couple of day to set. Works fine. Later reduced one back to .38 for my conversion Colt 1861. Other than it darkening the leather a little there is no evidence of the work. If you want pictures of them too let me know. It's not brain surgery.

Archived