SASS Wire Forum

Being comfortable is evidently a bad thing...

At least at work... or so say the so-called "experts."

In my office we're very often told we need to "get out of our comfort zones" (and seriously prodded to make sure we DON'T get comfortable).

So... I'm wondering... why is being comfortable with your job such a bad thing? It seems to me that if people are comfortable, they're happy. And if a person is comfortable with his or her assignments the quality of work will be the best a person can deliver.

Oh well. Reckon happines isn't a company benefit. :)

Probably so an employee doesn't become complacent. It's just another catch phrase as in "Quality without tears", "Work smarter not harder" etc. Someone makes big bucks thinking up these things. Good gig if you can get it! :D

CBG

Buzz phrases. I used to work for a guy who was constantly going to seminars, conventons, workshops and conferences. We dreaded his return each time. He would always have the latest hip, corporate buzz words and spewed them out liberally in memos and staff meetings. MOst of them were totally inapplicable for our job but that didn't stop him. :angry:

We used to change tactics, objectives, and directions so many times we should have had a chiropractor on staff to treat whiplash. Oy!

Buzz phrases. I used to work for a guy who was constantly going to seminars, conventons, workshops and conferences. We dreaded his return each time. He would always have the latest hip, corporate buzz words and spewed them out liberally in memos and staff meetings. MOst of them were totally inapplicable for our job but that didn't stop him. :angry:

We used to change tactics, objectives, and directions so many times we should have had a chiropractor on staff to treat whiplash. Oy!

The federal government thrives on buzzwords and acronyms.

The federal government thrives on buzzwords and acronyms.

As do many state, and I suspect, big city governments.

It's an infection. Even in our lingo. We don't contact anyone we "reach out" to them. And Brian Williams "Conflated" his stories. I've been hearing that word runnimg around now for a week. And I'm betting until the media and Williams started using it, no one even knew it was a word, let alone what it meant. I always think outside the box. Of course I'm a pretty big ol' boy so I haven't found a box that fits yet.

Shakey

When I talk with young folks at my work (I've been there 34 years and am at the twilight of my career) is to never get complacent. Never get so deep in your job that you are "THE" expert in any single task or type of work. You may wake up tomorrow and realize the one thing you've done to become the expert is now outsourced, sold to another company, or became obsolete while you were sleeping the night before.

Keep enough expertise in your job to do a good job but try to also be a generalist. Learn how to learn quickly and take on extra assignments to broaden your horizons. Prove to management that you are not a one trick pony and that you are a valuable asset regardless of what job you happen to be doing that day.

Everybody can be replaced, make darn sure they have to pay a lot more to replace you than they are paying you today.

That is how I explain "don't get too comfortable".

Archived