SASS Wire Forum

Seeing what's there, vs. what you THINK is there

Alpo

There's this email thingy that goes around now and again. It explains how the brain is so good it does not NEED to read all the word. As long as the first and last letter are correct, the brain will fill in the rest.

To prove its point, the entire long paragraph is misspelled. All the words are spelled wrong, but all of them have the correct first and last letter, and are the right length. And you can just zip through it with no problem.

It seems they are correct. Right?

So tonight I am out walking Worthless 6158ff95-7671-400a-b604-b25534884f8e_zps and we come upon a van. I notice it because it has a flat tire, and as we walk past my eyes slide across the rear bumper, and see a sticker.

Fishing for Jesus.

Okay. Why not. They got "Honk for Jesus" and "Jews for Jesus", so why not fishing?

I get a couple of steps by, and my brain says, "Wait a minute. That middle word can't be FOR. Not long enough."

I back up and take another look. Not FOR - IS.

Fishing is Jesus.

That made even less sense than Fishing for Jesus. Go back and look AGAIN.

Ah. Not JESUS - JOBS.

Fishing is Jobs. Pro commercial-fishing bumper sticker.

Makes sense. We live on the coast. Commercial fishing is a big part of the local economy. But between the sport fishermen that hate the commercial fishing, and the PETA-idiots that hate ALL fishing, it's always in a war.

But a bumper sticker. There are so any bumper stickers that reference Jesus. And here was a word, starts with a CAPITAL J, and ends in s, and is about the right length. Brain decided it must be Jesus.

Ain't the human brain a wondrous thingy?

But a bumper sticker. There are so any bumper stickers that reference Jesus. And here was a word, starts with a CAPITAL J, and ends in s, and is about the right length. Brain decided it must be Jesus.

Ain't the human brain a wondrous thingy?

Especially among the Apple fanboys, where Jobs = Jesus.

Especially among the Apple fanboys, where Jobs = Jesus.

I'm an Apple "fanboy." Never owned another computer brand. Steve Jobs wasn't Jesus. Heck, he was a Buddhist, for crying out loud! One can't deny his turnaround of Apple was amazing. Not messianic, but amazing.

That happens to me all the time. I'll read something that might be in one of five languages and one of four alphabets and later I will second guess about which it was and did I read it right and even "is my memory of what it was in the same language or did my mind translate it too?"

From the title, I thought this involved alcohol.

Archived