SASS Wire Forum

Stupid - Someone is gonna get hurt

Rusty Chains

While I can accept the need for some sort of drills, the possibility of someone getting hurt goes up big time the more this level of stupid goes on.

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2014/11/15/police-officers-draw-guns-during-unannounced-active-shooter-drill-at-elementary-school/

If there was a "bad guy" holding a student hostage, what is to keep a teacher from coming up behind him and braining him hard with a chair? What about the poor cop pretending to be the "bad guy" who just got a concussion or worse because some idiot police administrator thought the realism of an unannounced drill was a grand idea. Drawn guns with live ammo sweeping students, and teachers is a recipe for tragedy. The guy that dreamed up this stupidity should be suspended and demoted, or canned.

To quote Forrest Gump: "Stupid is as stupid does."

I smell the stench of a lawsuit for needlessly traumatizing students.

And teachers.

Heck, why don't you mace them while you are at it so they will know what it is like! No matter how much you practice there are always going to be students/teachers that react incorrectly. Drills are for LEO's/first responders, not the general public. At least not unannounced drills, and certainly not live fire drills, which totally violates what I/we were taught, never point your weapon at anything you aren't willing to destroy.

If the drills were for the police department to access there response they could have done it at an old abandoned school or warehouse set up like one instead of scaring the heck out of everyone. What would they have done if one of the teachers had a darn heart attack from being scared?

Some things don't quite add up.

Stacy Ray told WTVT that she received a text from her seventh-grade daughter Lauren Marionneaux after two armed officers burst into her classroom. Winter Haven police told The Post that one of the officers had his duty firearm – a handgun – drawn.

The gun was loaded, as is required. The other officer was carrying an unloaded AR-15. According to Ray, one of her children texted: “I thought he was going to shoot me.”

So.....

You go into an 'active shooter' situation with an unloaded rifle? Seems like it wasn't a complete surprise to everyone.

Some things don't quite add up.

So.....

You go into an 'active shooter' situation with an unloaded rifle? Seems like it wasn't a complete surprise to everyone.

The cops new it was a drill. One dumbass went in with a loaded handgun apparently, and the AR wielder at least didn't inserta mag.

In a drill like this you shouldn't even have service weapons, only training guns.

Very stupid from the git go.

The cops new it was a drill. One dumbass went in with a loaded handgun apparently, and the AR wielder at least didn't inserta mag.

In a drill like this you shouldn't even have service weapons, only training guns.

Very stupid from the git go.

AH! The way I had read it it seemed like the cops taking part in the exercise didn't know it was a drill. My mistake.

We did these drills all the time but we did them in the summer or over vacations and he staff new we were coming. Our guns double inspected with the mags taped in

Archived