SASS Wire Forum

Non SASS Pricing & Good Suppliers 80% AR Lowers

Marlin Buckhorn,SASS 51727

Interested in doing an 80% AR Lower. Where is the best place to buy? What should I expect to pay? I only have a drill press, will this work? What else might I need? Is there a friendly forum that could help me with this?

Thanks in advance,

Marlin

Try Brownells. http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=80%25&ksubmit=y If it is a GOOD drill press with little run-out it should work if you are careful.

I got mine at CNCguns.com about 18 months ago. Great to deal with. I bought the jig and 3 lowers and did one on a press. It wasn't to tough at all. I still have the other 2 untouched.

Unless your looking for a project it's not worth it now. You can get complete lowers for the same price and upper/lower combos cheaper than 1 80% and the jig.

JEL

Ares arms has there polymer lower kits on sale for 50bucks. I know lots of people worry about polymer lowers, but it is no different than glocks, all the pressure is in the upper. The price is cheap, it includes the jig (a seperate cost, and usually more expensive than the lower when working with aluminum) and the drill bits and end mill bit. if nothing else it's a way inexpensive way to learn before you go with the metal kits

I agree with John E. Law. There are only 2 reasons to get an 80% lower now. #1, you just want to learn how to do some machining without spending a lot of money, or,#2 you want to make a lower that doesn't comply with current rulings in which case you would be making an ilegal copy of an NFA regulated lower.

I agree with John E. Law. There are only 2 reasons to get an 80% lower now. #1, you just want to learn how to do some machining without spending a lot of money, or,#2 you want to make a lower that doesn't comply with current rulings in which case you would be making an ilegal copy of an NFA regulated lower.

Nothing illegal about it. You are LEAGALY allowed to create a firearm from scratch / 80% kits aslong as it is for yourself with the intent of keeping it. Why do you think there is a market for 80% lowers???? The "serialized" part (frame/lower) can not be manufactured for retail sale beyond "80 percent" without being considered a firearm and requiring a serial number and a manufacturing liscence, however it is completely leagal to buy an 80 percent and finish it yourself, or to start from complete scratch with a blank chunk of metal for that matter. Some. People like the challenge, some people want it without the paperwork, some people have completed every other part or building an AR except the 80% Some people are just DIY people.

All the information is easily available on the ATF website so I suggest you do some homework before flippantly throwing out accusations of people breaking the law and creating "illegal NFA items".

I think it is fairly easy to find many sources of how-to info, as well as opinions on the idea of doing such available on the internet. I would search Google and/or Youtube. There are demos on drill press completed 80% versions BUT the folks with mill experience claim that to be the only way to go.

Gawd Awful, I did NOT say it was illegal to make a semi-auto lower. I was implying that you COULD use a 80% lower to make a full auto lower which is an NFA part that you cannot legally make. I was trying not to make the statement outright but obviously you missed the "hint". ;)

Gawd Awful, I did NOT say it was illegal to make a semi-auto lower. I was implying that you COULD use a 80% lower to make a full auto lower which is an NFA part that you cannot legally make. I was trying not to make the statement outright but obviously you missed the "hint". ;)

Sorry man I did miss it. Sometimes I'm a little thick. Lol

Hello Marlin, just in the last few days I have seen completed Bushmaster lowers for $49.95. I don't feel it's worth the effort to complete the 80%. Also when and if you want to sell you have to register and serial number the lower plus tax stamp of $200 from ATF Or you could just destroy the lower.

Hello Marlin, just in the last few days I have seen completed Bushmaster lowers for $49.95. I don't feel it's worth the effort to complete the 80%. Also when and if you want to sell you have to register and serial number the lower plus tax stamp of $200 from ATF Or you could just destroy the lower.

Again miss information. 200 dollars is for creating a NFA item. You can not manufacture a firearm with the intent of selling it. However you can sell a home made firearm at a later time if you decide to. It is all about your intent when you created the firearm. If you make 1 or 2 guns and decide to sell them 5 years later it no biggie. If you create 500 and decide to sell them 2 weeks later.......

Please please go to the ATF website and read the RULES and FAQ section before you spread this sort of miss information

Thats just plain silly. There are plenty of other reasons why someone might want to mill their own lower. I can certainly see why the OP would take offense to this post and "miss the hint." Really, if someone wanted to make an "NFA Lower" it would be easier to mill a DIAS to put in a factory lower. None of the 80% lowers I've seen or their instructions speak one word about full-auto or burst capability.

Thanks for all the information cowboys. Was just thinking about building 1 gun. Wanted to try something new. Can't afford the ammo for any full auto gun. Lars, wasn't able to get to Princeton, hope to the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Don't buy all the good stuff, I think I might have $20.00 to spend.

Thanks to everybody again,

Marlin

Marlin

It's a fun project if you take your time and enjoy the journey. I built a couple from stripped lowers first, then did one this way just because I had done everything else and just because I could. If your a DIY guy then enjoy 😀

I posted this on the other 80% thread thinking it was this one. I found this Jig online that makes the finishing of the 80%s relitively easy. Not a bad price either and it has pretty good reviews.

http://www.80percentarms.com/collections/lower-jigs/products/80-ar-15-easy-jig

JEL

Archived